nilesh_bahirshet

upgrade or patch ?

1) I want to know what is the difference between patch and upgade ...

2) When to go for for an upgrade and when to go for patch ?
( on which Scenario we have cretae the patch and on which Scenario we have to upgrade ? )

3) I want to also know that what is upgrade and what is side by side install of product ?
Cosmin

Re: upgrade or patch ?

Hi,
I want to know what is the difference between patch and upgade ...
A patch represents a small update to an installation package. The Product Code and the major version is not changed.
A major upgrade represents a full installation package which automatically uninstalls the old package before installing itself (the Product Code changes).

While a patch updates only some files, a major upgrade will upgrade the entire installation.
When to go for for an upgrade and when to go for patch ?
A patch is usually used for small fixes or improvements in the application. A major upgrade is usually done when major changes occur in the application (for example new features).
I want to also know that what is upgrade and what is side by side install of product ?
The automated upgrade feature will make the new version of the package automatically uninstall the old version. If both packages are configured for side-by-side installation, both versions (new and old) can be installed on the same machine (the new version will not upgrade the old version, they can be used simultaneously).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”