marcelo

Mandatory Prerequisites with no UI problem

Hi there,

I'm facing a weird problem:

I have a install that has the following prerequisites as mandatory:

.nET Framework 3.5 SP1 (installing with the argument /qf, i use /qf in this option so the progress of the download/install 3.5 is shown to the user so they dont think the install is frozen/crashed).
VC++ 2008 redistributables (installing with the argument /qn)
SQL Server 2008 CLR Types (installing with the argument /qn)
SQL Server 2008 Native Client (installing with the argument /qn)
SQL server 2008 SMO (installing with the argument /qn)

I selected "Basic UI + progress " from the Bootstrapper UI section on the software pre-requisites.

If I already have 3.5 SP1 + VC2008 installed then everything goes fine, it installs the sql prerequisites and the installation of my application proceeds with no problems.
If I DONT have 3.5 SP1 + VC2008 installed, it shows up the 3.5 installation, downloads whatever is needed, installs 3.5 installs the sql prerequisites but after all the pre-requisites are installed, the progress dialog closes and my installation never shows up.. When i open the Task manager to see if theres anything loading, it see the msiexec there but no CPU activity nor anything happens.

I also tried removing these prerequisites as mandatory but no luck.

Can anyone tell me what can be going wrong?
Thanks,
Marcelo
Cosmin

Re: Mandatory Prerequisites with no UI problem

Hi Marcelo,

One of the dialogs in the prerequisites wizard contains the option "Automatically start installing the main application after finishing the prerequisites install" option. Is this option checked? Also, does your package use the "Limit to basic user interface (simple progress and error handling)" option in the Install Parameters page? What does the "MSI Command Line" field in the Bootstrapper tab of the "Media" page contain?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
marcelo

Hi Cosmin,

I'm not sure where this option "Automatically start installing the main application after finishing the prerequisites install" is.. i looked on the Software prerequisites tab as well as inside my products prerequisites properties and didn't find any option with that description.. (I dont think i used "prerequisites wizard".. i just clicked "New" on the products list from the "Software Prerequisites" tab).
No, The option "Limit to basic user interface (Simple progress and error handling)." is NOT checked. Should i check?

The bootstrapper tab on the "media" page contains:

* [Checked] Create EXE setup;
* group panel "Display" is empty
* In Group panel "Package"
- [Checked] Include install files in EXE.
- MSI Location
+ [Checked] Included in EXE bootstrapper.
+ "URL" Disabled/Empty
* In group panel "Install Options"
- [Not Checked] Sign and check integrity using MD5
- "MSI Command line" EMPTY
- "Extract Location" [AppDataFolder][|Manufacturer]\[|ProductName]\install
- [Not Checked] "Do not delete extract MSI and CAB files.
* In group panel "Security"
- Execution Level: "Require Administrator"
* In group panel "User Interface"
- [Checked] Automatically use system language for installation.

I will also send you our project file so you can take a look.

Thanks,
Marcelo
Cosmin

Hi Marcelo,

I investigated your project and it seems to be configured correctly.

Perhaps the problem is caused by one of your prerequisites (its installation fails or its detection criteria is not met after it is installed). Please try using a full UI for the bootstrapper and for the prerequisites to see what happens.

Usually an SQL Server installation requires some information from the user. Perhaps this type of information is required by one of your prerequisites. For more details please see this thread:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=7479

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”