rkulp

Strng-named Assembly Problem

I am trying to install an assembly into the GAC but get the following error message from the Windows Installer:

"The assembly is not strongly named or is not signed with the minimal key length."

The assembly was strongly named and signed withing Visual Studio 2005 IDE and successfully installs into my GAC but not on client computers. What should I do next short of changing the dll to be "copy local" or the equivalent?
Cosmin

Re: Strng-named Assembly Problem

Hi,

Can you please give me more details about how you installed your assembly into the GAC? Did you use the MSI package created by Advanced Installer, or a command line? Also, is the assembly file modified in any way after it is signed?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
rkulp

The assembly was designated for installation into the GAC in the Assemblies section of AI. The msi was not modified after it was created and signed, both in AI.
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that you misunderstood my questions. In your first post you mentioned:
"The assembly was strongly named and signed withing Visual Studio 2005 IDE and successfully installs into my GAC but not on client computers."

How did you successfully install the assembly into the GAC? Did you use the MSI package or a command line for the assembly file?
Also, I was referring to the signature of the assembly file, not to the signature of the MSI. Was the assembly modified in any way after it was "strongly named and signed withing Visual Studio 2005 IDE"?

Regards,
Cosmin
rkulp

I think I installed it on my computer using gacutil.exe. The assembly was not changed in any way after it was created. It was signed by VS 2005 during creation.
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure why the assembly cannot be installed by Windows Installer. Can you please send it to us at support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem?

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”