Singrins

Possible to run code before install sequence?

Fri Oct 10, 2008 4:10 pm

Hello,

At the initial setup dialogs is there any way to write a code to enter details from a customer...

For eg.

Feature a has x no. of ports
Feature b has y no. of switches
Feature c has xx no. of ports

the user can select any feature and any no. of ports from the UI and enter the number of ports in a text box is there any way i can write these files into a xml file?

Singrins

Re: Possible to run code before install sequence?

Fri Oct 10, 2008 6:36 pm

I do not want a custom action during the install phase i want to write into the xml files before that. Because i want to choose the feature and choose the no. of ports. Right now i can only can only choose the feature in setupdlg UI.

Cosmin

Re: Possible to run code before install sequence?

Mon Oct 13, 2008 11:17 am

Hi,

What you need can be done by creating a custom dialog in the "Dialogs" page. Please note that the dialog editor can be used only in an Enterprise project. On this custom dialog, you can create the controls you need for getting the information from the user.

After the custom controls are created, you can use the "Property Name" field in their Properties pane to set the property of each control. These properties will contain the information retrieved from the controls and they can be used for the XML file.
I do not want a custom action during the install phase i want to write into the xml files before that.
I'm afraid that this is not supported by Advanced Installer (it can create an XML only during the install). However, you can try using a custom action to create the XML file before the installation starts.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”