Julie

ODBC error 8

Hi,

I thought that creating DSN using ODBC page should be very straight forward. I created a Data Source named "myDSNName" adn add the name-values pairs according to my machine. But when I run the msi, it always gave me "ODBC error 8: Invalid key-value pairs. Verify the file [myDSNName] exists and you can access it."

I was trying to get around this by adding all the necessary registry keys and values. It worked but the only problem is the DSN is removed when uninstall even I don't check the box "delete (if present) on uninstall") for the keys.

Please help!

Thanks!
Julie

Re: ODBC error 8

OK, like always, I made some progress right after I posted the message. Looks like there are two name keys that I can't touch "driver", "LastUser". Once I removed them from my definition, it worked. But I still have the issue that I don't want this DSN to be removed when uninstall.

Any thought?

Thanks!
Cosmin

Re: ODBC error 8

Hi,

During the uninstall process, Windows Installer removes all resources and configurations registered in the package. However, you can make sure that the data source is not removed during uninstall by setting its component as Permanent. Please note that this should also be done for any resources needed by the data source (for example registry entries).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”