stevefal

Dialog rendering issues

Occasionally (maybe every 2nd or third run) text labels will disappear from the installation wizard. I see it happening specifically on the TItle label on ProgressDlg, and the TItle label on Exit Dialog. If, while the label is invisible, I drag the dialog off and on screen, it reappears on the repaint.

What could be causing this and how can I fix it?
gigi

Re: Dialog rendering issues

Hi,

We cannot reproduce this behavior on our test machines. Have you tried to reproduce the problem on other computer?

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
stevefal

I have tried on one other computer, and did not see it. However, the computer I am seeing it on is my main machine, and I don't see the behavior with any other software.

I also notice that under the AI dialog editor, when selecting an object, such as the title graphic, it comes to the foreground regardless of its declared position in the z-order. I am not sure if this is normal for AI, but it's confusing.

I bring that up because the issue I am seeing looks like a z-order mix-up. So one thing I tried is to re-assert the correct z-order among objects in those particular dialogs.

I'll keep my eye on it.
stevefal

I have tested more and I am in fact seeing this issue on other machines:

- I install up to ExitDialog
- my ViewReadme and LaunchProd checkboxes are hidden (I think I will delete them, and do this instead: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... ation.html)
- while the ExitDialog is sitting there, with Title and Description label visible, the TItle label suddenly vanishes
- if I repaint by, say activating/deactivating another window on top of it, the TItle label reappears
- and then it disappears again, and so on, sporadically

So far I have seen it disappear as many as three times in one instance of the ExitDialog, within one instance of the installer. Then it somehow stabilizes and stops disappearing.
Cosmin

Hi,

Unfortunately we are still unable to reproduce this behavior. Perhaps it is caused by a problem with the display drivers or by another software. You mentioned that initially you could not reproduce this behavior on other machines. Did you do something to them in order to be able to reproduce the problem? Also, can you reproduce this behavior on a clean machine?
I also notice that under the AI dialog editor, when selecting an object, such as the title graphic, it comes to the foreground regardless of its declared position in the z-order. I am not sure if this is normal for AI, but it's confusing.
This is the normal behavior of the dialog editor. Basically, the control you select will be brought in front of the other controls so you can edit it. Please note that this does not affect the order of the controls (their order can be changed only through the "Bring to Front" and "Send to Back" options).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
stevefal

I am generally not paying attention to the installer appearance when testing, because I am focused on getting my software installed and tested. But as I mentioned, I would keep an eye on it now that I know there is a problem.

So recently when installing on another machine, I saw the problem. I played with it a while, hence the description I gave in the previous post.

No, I didn't do anything different in order to reproduce them problem - I just noticed it.

I'm not sure how one defines a "clean" machine anymore. I have not tested on a machine with, say, only Microsoft OS/driver code on it. But both machines are well-maintained. and otherwise stable and without items disappearing from other software.

I notice that when the ExitDialog appears, there is still hard disk activity for a while. This implies that some work is still being done. Likewise when the title disappears from the ProgressDlg Title label, it is also during installation actions. The disappearance of the Title labels occurs during these periods of activity, and, I believe, stops afterward. Are the Title labels being manipulated during these periods? In both cases, my Title text currently contains some Windows installer properties.
Cosmin

Hi,
Are the Title labels being manipulated during these periods? In both cases, my Title text currently contains some Windows installer properties.
Perhaps these properties are the cause of the behavior you are encountering. Can you please send us the AIP (project) file which shows this behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin
stevefal

My ProgressDlg TItle contains "[Progress1] [ProductName]", and my ExitDialog TItle contains "Completing the [ProductName] [Wizard]".

I would have to scrub product details, signature, files/folders/registry information before sending the aip. Would that will be interesting?
Cosmin

Hi,

In order to investigate this problem we need the project which shows it. If you remove information from it, the problem may no longer occur. Can you please create a new project which uses dummy information and reproduces the behavior you encountered? After it is complete, you can send us the AIP and the generated package so we can investigate them.

Regards,
Cosmin
stevefal

I believe I've traced this issue to a known issue with Microsoft Intellipoint software. Try googling "ipoint flicker" for more.

The flickering issue causes some apps to repaint rapidly, and I think this may affect the installer. Although the issue may indeed be triggered externally, the installer should nonetheless be able to repaint successfully. So I believe there is some problem with the installer, although it may never happen unless the Microsoft tool is running.

In either case, after disabling Microsoft's ipoint.exe on my Nvidia-based systems, I no longer see the issue.
Cosmin

Hi,

Unfortunately the installation dialogs are created, drawn and managed by Windows Installer. Therefore, only Microsoft could provide a solution.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”