natedogg

Inherited Registry Permissions

Hi,

I want to set a few permissions to a registry key when installing my app, this i have done by applying permissions (specifically ASPNET) on my key.

The key already exists on windows by default so i literally just want to add this ASPNET permission, however, when i inspect the registry key permissions after install i notice that inherited permissions are turned off, whilst before install they are turned on.

So my question is, How can i keep the inherited permssions on a registry key and simply add another one without loosing them all.

I hope this is possibly and that i've just missed an option somewhere or something

Thanks
Nathan
Cosmin

Re: Inherited Registry Permissions

Hi Nathan,

Unfortunately this is not supported by Windows Installer. However, you can manage the permissions the way you need by using the Xcacls.exe tool as a custom action.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
natedogg

ok, thanks i will look into that, anymore information on this custom action would be appreciated.

Can i ask is the inherited permissions something you plan on putting in another release at some point?

Thanks for the quick response.
Nathan
Cosmin

Hi Nathan,

The "Xcacls.exe" tool can be used as a "New Attached Custom Action" towards the end of the installation ("Commit" or "InstallFinalize"). In the "Command Line" field of the custom action you can set the parameters you want to pass to the tool.

Please note that this is a Windows Installer limitation (Advanced Installer uses the Windows Installer support). We would like to be able to modify Windows Installer, but unfortunately only Microsoft can.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”