mustangfan

Client Install....

Not sure exactly how to go about this.... I have created an install that works great. It places my files in a user specified location and creates several environment variables that work perfectly.

What I would like to do however, is create a "client" installation. Meaning, all I want to do is create several environment variables and desktop shortcuts but NOT install the software as it is already installed on a server. Is there a way to create this option in the dialogs to reference a previous server installation? Or maybe a better choice is to have a second installation script created that is only for "client" installs -- but how do I make this work without actually creating any directories but certainly creating shortcuts and environment variables? Any thoughts??

TIA
Cosmin

Re: Client Install....

Hi,

I'm afraid that this is not supported by Windows Installer or by Advanced Installer. However, you could create a new project which installs only the shortcuts and environment variables. For this project you can use the "Do not register the product with Windows Installer" option in the Product Details page.

Please note that the 6.7 version has a bug related to this option. Therefore, it is recommended to use the 6.6 version or wait for the 6.7.1 version (it will be released in the near future).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”