WillemH

Problems with major upgrades

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:31 am

Our company recently started to use Advanced Installer, and we ran into a problem.
Our setup is a very simple one with reqs :

1. Install the product, it contains only 1 feature that's always installed, no fancy thins
2. When a new version is created, completely de-install current one, and install new one

So, we have a version 1.0.0 of the package, with 'Automatically upgrade older product versions.' checked. Obviously, we keep
the upgrade code the same, the product code and version will change. We set as Default installation path c:\testapp".
Now, we run the setup, install to "C:\testapp2". It installs and runs perfectly.

After a while, we change the product, and bring out version 1.1.0. We run the setup and have the problem
the installation path is reverted back to default one, not the actual path used in last installation (C:\testapp),
making automatic deployment and upgrading outside the default location a pain in the ass with like thousands of users.

This also prevents silent upgrading of installations.
Any comments/recommendations ?

Cosmin

Re: Problems with major upgrades

Fri Dec 05, 2008 11:49 am

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIPs (project files) and a verbose log of the upgrade process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

WillemH

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:01 pm

Hi, thanks for the fast reply!

To be more clear, the setup process comes up with as DEFAULT the APPDIR as specified in the aip file, NOT the one used
in the actual setup. (The one the customer changed). When the upgrade is done, and the customer changes it again to
their installation path, it works fine. The problem is that I think the upgrade should present the installation path the
customer used in his previous setup, not the one I specified in the aip file. I don't know if this is standard behaviour
or not.

Cosmin

Fri Dec 05, 2008 12:23 pm

Hi,
The problem is that I think the upgrade should present the installation path the customer used in his previous setup, not the one I specified in the aip file.
Yes, this is the normal behavior for the automated upgrade feature. However, I'm not sure why it doesn't work for your packages. Did you follow the steps mentioned in the Upgrades article from the User Guide?

If the problem persists, we can find a solution only after investigating the projects (we need only the .AIP files created by Advanced Installer, not the entire projects). If your projects contain confidential information, can you please send us a verbose log of the upgrade process?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

WillemH

Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:00 pm

Info will be send.

Return to “Common Problems”