amejia

CREATING AN INSTALLER FOR SERVER AND CLIENT PC

Hi,

I want to create a unique installer of my application for database server and for the client pc, so when the customer runs the installer the installer must ask if the installation is going to be for a server or a client machine and depending on the customer choice the installer install specific files.

For example if the customer choose "server" installation the installer can check for SQL Server and other database tools.

Does someone knows how to do this in a simple way?

Thanks in advance.

Alejandro
Cosmin

Re: CREATING AN INSTALLER FOR SERVER AND CLIENT PC

Hi Alejandro,

The recommended approach is to use two features: one for the client installation and one for the server installation. In a custom feature selection dialog you can use two radio-buttons to let the user select which feature will be installed.

Also, by using feature actions you can condition parts of the installation based on the feature selected for installation (for example a custom action which checks for SQL Server).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
amejia

Perfect this works!

Thanks Cosmin
amejia

Hi Cosmin,

Another last question.

Can I also customize which prerrequisites can be needed depending on the user selection?

For example if I want to install the server then the installer must not ask to install Sql server and create the database.

I made this question because in the custom launch condition I cant see a feature action enabled to make this.

Thanks for the help
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that the prerequisites cannot be conditioned by an UI option. However, this feature is on our TODO list and it will be included in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Until then, you can try using a custom action to launch the SQL Server installation. This custom action can be scheduled under "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "InstallFinalize" and you can condition it with the property set in the UI.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”