donff

Newer version seem not to be overwriting

Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:38 pm

I am trying to complete a new installation package but I am encountering problems. When I rebuild an aip file, I always change the Product Version so that the correct version is being used. But when I then test it out on another computer (Vista) I see the same version I made before, even though I carefully made sure to uninstall the older version from this computer.

Can anyone throw light on this?

Thanks

Don Friend

Cosmin

Re: Newer version seem not to be overwriting

Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:00 pm

Hi Don,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this problem. Can you please send us the AIP (project) file and a screen-shot with the problematic behavior to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

donff

Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:13 pm

Hi Cosmin,

I have attached two screenshots and the aip file. The screenshots look very disimilar - entrypage1 is how it should look when opened on the target computer. (This is what I see when I open the program on my development computer). I have scripted the program after installation to open onto a page where the user types in a serial number. Entrypage2 is what I see as soon as I open the program on the target (Vista) computer. This is the page the program goes to after the user has successfully typed in the serial number. Notice how it says Twenty-User Licence. When I tested it first time, I keyed in a set of numbers which allocated the number of users as Twenty-Users.

So even though I uninstalled completely, the Vista computer retained the information that the program had been installed successfully before, the correct serial number had been put in and 20 users had been allocated.

Thanks

Don
Attachments
entrypage.zip
(121.81KiB)Downloaded 148 times

Cosmin

Tue Dec 09, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi Don,

When your application gets information from the user (like a serial number), most likely it writes it somewhere on the target machine (in some files or in the registry). Since Windows Installer removes only the resources installed by the package, it will not remove the information created by the application.

A solution for this is to use a custom action which removes the application information during an uninstall.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”