Macy

Installing 3.5 SP1 framework

We have an application that requires dotNet 3.5 SP1. We have two installation scenarios:

Stand-alone -- The app is distributed on a CD and there is no internet connectivity. So, I can include the .Net 3.5 SP1 Client .exe as a prerequisite, and just put that in the same folder as the install exe, right?

Web Download -- The app can also be downlaoded from the web. In this case, I want to use the .Net 3.5 boostrapper via a URL. I have this scenario working correctly.

Do I need to create two different installs? Or is there a way that to build a single install that will run the 3.5 SP1 Client if present, and kick to the web URL if the first scenario is not present? I thought about using a condition on the 3.5 URL to keep it from running if the presence of the 3.5ClintProfile file was found. However, I couldn't see how to test for that presence of a file on the install drive.

Suggestions?
Cosmin

Re: Installing 3.5 SP1 framework

Hi,

Currently a prerequisite can have only one source for its installation package (an URL or a file). Therefore, what you need can be done only by using two different installation packages. In your project you can use two different builds, each using a prerequisite.

We have on our TODO list an improvement which will allow you to specify alternate locations for your prerequisites. This improvement will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Macy

Thanks. That will be a nice enhancement. However, in this case, these are two different prerequisites... 3.5SP1 if installing from the web, and 3.5SP1ClientProfile if installing from a local device. So, having two different file sources might not address the issue?

On a related topic... would you consider an enhancement that would let the prerequisite checker check for the existence of a file on the install media? At the present time, I cannot figure out a way to do that. Really, all I want to do is test for the existing of a file that lies in the same folder as the install .exe. The ability to do that would address several things for me.

And, a really beginner question... how do I define a second build within the same .aip? [Edit] -- found it... Multiple Builds topic in help. That worked.

Thanks!
Cosmin

Hi,
in this case, these are two different prerequisites... 3.5SP1 if installing from the web, and 3.5SP1ClientProfile if installing from a local device.
I'm sorry, from your previous post I understood you want to install the Client Profile in both scenarios. Currently the installation of the prerequisites cannot use custom conditions (like an active Internet connection). However, this feature is on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version.
would you consider an enhancement that would let the prerequisite checker check for the existence of a file on the install media?
I have added this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.
At the present time, I cannot figure out a way to do that.
You could try using a Search done by a custom executable. Your EXE should somehow find the location of the installation package and search there for the prerequisite package.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”