ctumbles

Silent Install with Serial Number

I have successfully created an MSI package with Advanced Installer's algorithm defined serial number. How do I install this MSI package silently and pass the serial number now? Is this possible?
gigi

Re: Silent Install with Serial Number

Hi,

To execute the MSI silently use "Limit to basic user interface..." option from "Install Parameters" page or use /qb command line argument. To specify the serial number you can set PIDKEY property (trough the command line) like this: PIDKEY=123-456 (use the format you have specified in the "Serial Validation" page).

You can read more about Windows Installer command line here:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa367988.aspx

Kind Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
ctumbles

That worked great. What about agreeing to the EULA screen. Is there a commandline property for that as well?
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that a silent installation will not show the License Agreement dialog.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
franky13

Hi,

I had a similar problem and this is what I did:
- add a public property to my project called "ACCEPT_EULA" and set the default value to "No"
- added an init event to the license file dialog to set the property to "Yes"
- change the publish event of the Next button to "IAgree = "Yes" AND ACCEPT_EULA = "Yes" (so the next button get's only active during interactive installation, if user clicks "I accept")
- added a custom action of type "Error message" in the "InstallInitialize" phase that get's only executed (via Execution condition), if ACCEPT_EULA is "No"

So, when using a silent install, the user has to implicitly accept the EULA via setting the pubic property to "Yes". If he doesn't, the custom action is executed, the error message get's displayed and installation is cancelled.

I don't know if this is the best (or even an elegant) way to achieve this as I am fairly new to AI and to MSI, but I did what I wanted it to :-)...

Maybe this is an option for you.

Regards Frank

Return to “Common Problems”