rosen.nedialkov

Files are left after uninstall randomly

Sat Jan 10, 2009 12:52 pm

Hi!
Many of our clients experience problems with our installations where some of the files are left undeleted after successful uninstall. This happens with dlls, executables, .sys and other files. Our test lab had tested this on absolutely clean windows installations and the problem still happens at random times. As far as I can see sometimes the file is not unregistered from MSI, sometimes are but not deleted. There are no special actions on the files, no custom deletes or anything similar. We get this on 3 separate products and their installations.
Some of my investigation results are that the problem may occur when our clients/testlab upgrade version A made with AI version lets say 4.5.2 with version B made by the latest AI. Another possible scenario is that our test lab people very often install and uninstall the products and thus is possible that something goes wrong in background.
Does any of your other clients report such behaviour? What could we had done wrong?

Cosmin

Re: Files are left after uninstall randomly

Mon Jan 12, 2009 10:41 am

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. The files may remain if they are used by other products or other versions of your product. Can you please send us a verbose log of an uninstall which shows this problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please attach the AIPs of the packages with the problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

rosen.nedialkov

Re: Files are left after uninstall randomly

Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:59 pm

I will sent those logs ASAP when we reproduce fully the problem.

Just to mention that our installations allow only stand-alone installs and we are forcing the user to reboot before installing a new version only upgrades are possible

Return to “Common Problems”