Jan Bouma

removing installed application fails

Hi there

I have simple setup. It installs a bunch of files en an executable with some dll's.
Everything went fine untill i put in a custom action to start the the installed exe on the commit with a certain condition.

When i tested this on a vista machine i got an error the some component or exe could not be started. and the installation was rolled back. So i decided to remove the custom action. But now I can not remove the old version on developer machine which is a XP SP 2 machine. When installing the new version without the custom action, I get also the error that some component or exe could not be started. But this error comes in the endind fase of the removal of the old version.

When try to remove to package with the windows "Add or Remove programms" i get the same error.

I have a log file.
Cosmin

Re: removing installed application fails

Hi,
When i tested this on a vista machine i got an error the some component or exe could not be started.
On Vista the custom actions which need Administrator privileges should be set to use the Deferred with no impersonation or Commit with no impersonation option. This way they will run under the local system account with full privileges.
But now I can not remove the old version on developer machine which is a XP SP 2 machine.
In order to remove broken installations you can try using the Windows Installer Cleanup utility.

If the problem persists after removing the broken installation and using one of the options I mentioned, please send us a verbose log of the install to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Jan Bouma

Re: removing installed application fails

Thanks that removal tool did the work.

Return to “Common Problems”