franky13

Creating 64-Bit package

Hi all,

I have another problem that I hope I can find some assistance here: I have built an MSI using AI that's perfectly working on XP and Vista 32-Bit environments. The package installs a .Net-Framework assembly using a ".Net Installer Class Action".

However, if I run the MSI on a 64-Bit environment (Vista 64 to be exact), the assembly get's installed using the 32-Bit "InstallUtil" and is thus only available to programs that use the 32-Bit compatibility subsystem (WOW64). I would like to register this assembly for the native 64-Bit programs.

On the custom action page, there's a checkbox "64-bit script", but it is greyed out, so I cannot tick it.

I tried changing the Package Type (on the "Install Parameters" page) to "64-bit package for x64 processors (AMD64, EM64T)", but still no success.

There's no need of having one MSI that runs on 32- and 64-bit platforms. If needed, I can easily maintain a 32 and a 64 bit version of my package.

If I manually install the assembly using "InstallUtil" from the "C:\Windows\Microsoft.NET\Framework64\v2.0.50727"-directory, everything is fine.

So the question in fact is: how do I tell AI to use the 64-bit .Net-Framework InstallUtil during the ".Net Installer Class Action"?

Thank you in advance and best regards
Frank
Cosmin

Re: Creating 64-Bit package

Hi Frank,

Currently Advanced Installer does not support 64-bit .NET Installer Class Actions. However, this feature is on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version.

Until then, you can configure the custom action to run only on 32-bit systems. For a 64-bit system you can use another custom action which launches "InstallUtil" to install the assembly. You can find this file on the target machine by using a search.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
SPARE GmbH

Hi Cosmin,

Do we have any news to these Feature?

Thanks

Fredi
Catalin

Hello Fredi,
Do we have any news to these Feature?
Yes, it is possible to use a 64bit .NET Installer Class Action custom action. All you have to do is to create your .DLL file as a 64-bit DLL.

After doing so and adding the .NET Installer Class Action custom action to your project, all you have to do is to remove the condition from the "Condition" field (the default condition is "NOT (VersionNT64)").

Hope this helps.

All the best,
Catalin
Catalin Gheorghe - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”