MattM

Service with domain account logon

I'm having problems with this.

I've added a custom action using ntrights.exe as per the instructions in 'How do I install a service for a custom user?'

Problem 1) The install is failing with this message in the eventvwr;

Description:
Product: Workspace Cache Server Rev_23 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ntrights.exe, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI8C.tmp, command: -u union2\matthew.mayhew -r SeServiceLogonRight

Problem 2) I've had to hard code the username as a default value on the property. I am updating the custom property in the dialogues and verifying it by echoing back what it's set to in the next screen. However when it failed the message logged in Eventvwr always has the default value - 'Your Property', 'Domain\User' etc.

Where am I going wrong?

Regards

Matt
Cosmin

Re: Service with domain account logon

Hi Matt,
Description:
Product: Workspace Cache Server Rev_23 -- Error 1722. There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A program run as part of the setup did not finish as expected. Contact your support personnel or package vendor. Action ntrights.exe, location: C:\WINDOWS\Installer\MSI8C.tmp, command: -u union2\matthew.mayhew -r SeServiceLogonRight
From my knowledge the "-u" parameter supports only user account names or group names. Also, the "-r" parameter revokes privileges (only "+r" adds privileges). Therefore, a correct command line for "ntrights.exe" would look like this:

Code: Select all

-u "matthew.mayhew" +r SeServiceLogonRight
Please try using this command line and let me know if the problem persists.
I've had to hard code the username as a default value on the property. I am updating the custom property in the dialogues and verifying it by echoing back what it's set to in the next screen. However when it failed the message logged in Eventvwr always has the default value - 'Your Property', 'Domain\User' etc.
Are you using a public property? Please note that private properties cannot pass their values from the UI (when the dialogs are shown) to the Execute sequence (when the service is installed).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
MattM

Re: Service with domain account logon

Hi Cosmin,

Yes, you are quite correct - putting a +r is much more successful! I have also changed my properties to public and they are now passed correctly.

Regards

Matt

Return to “Common Problems”