cbono

BUG: Description for Vista Default Program Settings

Hello all,

I wanted to bring to your attention what I think is a bug in the "File Associations" page of Advanced Installer. The value entered for the Description field for "Default Program Settings" does not appear to actually be written into the AIP project correctly, and results in a "default" string being displayed when you examine your application in Vista's Default Programs applet.

Our application registers the .ITRX file type. On the File Associations page, we have defined a Default Program with the following values in the "Application" group:

The "Description" is what I assume should be displayed when examining the entry for our application in Vista's Default Programs. But what actually shows up is this:

Searching through the registry, I examined the key that AI said it would generate. In our case:

Code: Select all

HKLM\Software\Saxaan Software\Saxaan iTraax\Capabilities
-- not surprisingly, Vista is simply pulling the value set in the registry:

So I dug through the .AIP file and found the following line:

Code: Select all

<ROW Registry="ApplicationDescription" Root="2" Key="SOFTWARE\[Manufacturer]\[ProductName]\Capabilities" Name="ApplicationDescription" Value="#%Your application description" Component_="ApplicationDescription"/>
I'm assuming that, while AI is storing my value somewhere, it's just not writing it out to the correct spot in the AIP file so that it is picked up during a build.

If this is not a bug, then hopefully you can point out what I'm doing wrong? FYI, I'm using the latest AI version, 6.7.1.

Thanks,
Chris
Cosmin

Re: BUG: Description for Vista Default Program Settings

Hi Chris,

This is a bug in Advanced Installer and it will be fixed in the next version. Thank you for bringing this to our attention.
Until then a workaround is to manually modify the registry entry in the AIP file.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”