humanangle

error placing .exe file in afolder after uninstalling

I tried to perform installation ( placing ) of .exe file in a folder after uninstalling the software
I made the custom action but when I execute the uninstaller the uninstall executed the file instead of placing it in the folder i specified and of course comes with (error configuration file not found )
thank you in advance for replaying
Cosmin

Re: error placing .exe file in afolder after uninstalling

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what you need to do. Can you please give me more details about this? In your other thread (http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=8566) you mentioned you want to launch another installer after uninstall, not to copy a file in a folder.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
humanangle

than for replying

that thread I wanted to launch another installer and went fine
but in this thread this is different I wanted to place a file with .exe extension in a folder and that will be deleted in the uninstalling process ( new version ) .
I wanted to place the ( old version ) file in that folder so the program will return to its previous condition after complete uninstalling
thank you for concern and excuse me I am not a native English
Cosmin

Hi,

You could try to backup the file before it is removed and restore it when you want. Please note that the User Guide contains the Preserve file on install how-to which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
humanangle

thanks for replying
one think I didn't understand in the process of backing up a file the importing of vbs file
do I have to write the vbs my self or what ?
because I don't know any think about visual basic
that why I wanted to place a file instead of backing the original file
I made a custom action running another installer after uninstall and that went very fine but the size of my msi file is big and I wanted to reduce the preserving of the original file sound very good but my knowledge of vbs is very poor .
I am a building a very simple project making an exe file localize in other language and replacing few files during installation
any way thanks for replying and I appreciate that
Cosmin

Hi,

The VBScript custom action is already implemented in a .VBS file which can be downloaded from the how-to page. Therefore, all you need to do is use it in your project. The how-to I mentioned contains more details about how to configure the custom action.

Regards,
Cosmin
humanangle

Thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaank you very much
humanangle

Hi
I am coming again just to thank you
for the great help you giving to me
at last I mad aback up custom action and I succeeded
but to my surprise the size of the msi file with the back up custom action
and the size of the msi file with a custom action to lunch another installer remain the
same I don't know why ? I was hoping to reduce the size but I have to :D
thank you once again
Cosmin

Hi,
but to my surprise the size of the msi file with the back up custom action and the size of the msi file with a custom action to lunch another installer remain the same I don't know why ?
The custom action which performs the backup and restore has 11 KB. Therefore, adding it in the project shouldn't increase the size of the MSI too much. I'm not sure how you configured your previous custom action. Was the other installer attached to the MSI or it was installed by the MSI and then launched? Also, what is the size of the other installer?

Regards,
Cosmin
humanangle

I figured out now the other custom action to launch the other installer is there
I forget to remove it but when I removed it the size of the msi reduced to almost the half
thank you one again

Return to “Common Problems”