mikefry

32/64-bit Alternatives

I'm having some difficulty getting a small Infotip Shell Extension DLL registered on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines.

Using a Custom Install Action, I can successfully install the extension on a 32-bit machine (Win2000 & Vista Home Premium) and register it, using the 32-bit version of a 3rd-party Utility.

However, when trying the same thing on a 64-bit copy of Vista, I see an Error 2753. The only difference between 32-bit and 64-bit should be the 3rd-party Utility program, of which I have versions for both architectures.

I've tried following the examples in the documentation, principally the article at http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... files.html

Basically, I'm trying to install the Utility-32 or the Utility-64 program depending on the value of the VersionNT64 property. Then, run the installed Utility program to register my shell extension DLL. As I say, on 32-bit this works. On 64-bit, it doesn't. What am I doing wrong?

Regards, Mike FRY, Johannesburg
Cosmin

Re: 32/64-bit Alternatives

Hi Mike,

The error 2753 means "The File '[2]' is not marked for installation". Is the file you want to register installed on both 32-bit and 64-bit machines? If not, please make sure that the component of the file uses a condition which allows it to be installed on both platform types.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mikefry

What file? The message doesn't indicate which file.
The Message Box
The Message Box
error.JPG (40.68 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Cosmin

Hi,

More details can be found in the verbose installation log. I assumed the file which causes the error is the file you need to register. If this is not the case, please send us the AIP and the log to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”