Stevo3000

Prerequisite Install Conditions

Hi,

I'm currently evaluating Advanced Installer. So far I'm very happy with what I have seen and will be placing an order for Enterprise once I've ironed out the last few issues.

I'm trying to install prerequisites based on the operating system version and service pack level. I can get the operating sytem version by:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\CurrentVersion
However I cannot find a way to check the service pack level form the registry. How would I go about acheiving this?

Also our software require the following operating systems:

Windows 2000 SP4
Windows XP SP2
Windows Vista SP1

Which I belive I have handled correctly in the custom launch conditions. But how can these conditions be applied to the prerequisites?

Cheers,

Steve Hipwell
Stevo3000

Re: Prerequisite Install Conditions

Hi,

Blonde moment, please ignore the first part of my question as it's the first part of the launch conditions.

It would be nice if I could chose to block the installation if the operating system is greater than Windows 2000 and it's service pack level isn't what we require.

Cheers,

Steve hipwell
Cosmin

Hi Steve,
It would be nice if I could chose to block the installation if the operating system is greater than Windows 2000 and it's service pack level isn't what we require.
This improvement is on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version of Advanced Installer. Currently you can set only the minimum supported OS versions.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Stevo3000

Hi Cosmin,

Do you have a rough time frame on when we will see this feature? It would be very useful in our deployment model. It would allow us to build a single installer that deployed SQL Express 2005 on Windows 2000 SP4 machines, SQL Express 2008 on Windows XP SP2 and Vista SP1 and SQL Express 2008 x64 on Vista x64 SP1.

Cheers,
Steve Hipwell
Cosmin

Hi Steve,

I'm afraid that we cannot offer an ETA for now. However, I increased its priority and hopefully this improvement will be available soon.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Stevo3000

Hi Cosmin,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

Cheers,
Steve Hipwell

Return to “Common Problems”