kkim

Re: Problem with starting service....

cosmin wrote:Hi,

If the package works with the 6.1 version then perhaps it is better to stick with it. However, we would appreciate if you can provide the installation log. Perhaps there is a problem in Advanced Installer which should be fixed.

Regards,
Cosmin
Ok, I created a log file, I am going to email it to you. Hopefully you guys can figure this out before someone else has a problem.
Like I said, what i am using AI for is very very simple, so I was really shocked that using 6.8 somehow made my new product upgrade break...

also, I found a typo in your instructions for setting up the log...
msiexec /i "C:\MyPackage\Example.msi" /L*V "C\log\example.log"
You guys are missing a colon in "c:\log" in the last part of the instructions. Should be:
msiexec /i "C:\MyPackage\Example.msi" /L*V "C:\log\example.log"
Cosmin

Re: Problem with starting service....

Hi,

I noticed in the log that the "VersionNT" property has the value 501. This corresponds to Windows XP.
Since the component "winhttp.dll" uses the condition "VersionNT = 500", its condition is false on an XP machine. Therefore, the files in this component ("winhttp.dll" and "setup.ini") will not be installed.

Also, I noticed in the log this line:
"Disallowing installation of component: device_id since the registry keypath exists and the component is marked to never overwrite existing installations"

It seems that the component "device_id" is already installed and the current install cannot overwrite it. Therefore, the component in your package will not be installed. Since this component contains the uninstall shortcut, the shortcut will be also absent. Please note that you can move the uninstall shortcut in the component of the EXE, like in the old project.

It seems that the problem was not caused by the Advanced Installer version. The same behavior would have been obtain for any version with the configuration you used. The files were not installed because the Windows version did not support them and the uninstall shortcut was not created because its component was not installed.
You guys are missing a colon in "c:\log" in the last part of the instructions
We will fix this in the next version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for bringing it to our attention.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”