kkim

Problem with starting service....

Hi,

I believe I have found a bug of some sort. I want to preface this by saying that I have NEVER had an issue with this until now. I upgraded to 6.7.1 and it did not fix the problem.

Under Project Details --> Services

The service file used to say: APPDIR/myfile.exe

Now it says something weird like: withjre
And if I open and close AI, sometimes it doesn't even say "withjre" it would just be a weird DOT....

AI would then crash, and under the crash report this is what I get:

Error signature

AppName: advancedinstaller.exe
AppVer: 6.7.1.0
ModName: msvcr90.dll
ModVer: 9.0.30729.1
Offset: 0006c955

I tried this under both Vista and XP and both generate a crash!! please help!! How come it suddenly broke??
Cosmin

Re: Problem with starting service....

Hi,

You are encountering this behavior because of a bug in Advanced Installer. When opening a much older project with a newer version of Advanced Installer, the service information gets corrupted. A solution is to remove the service and add it again using your current Advanced Installer version.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
kkim

Ok thanks, i will try that again...

Glad to know you guys are ontop of things!!!
kkim

Hi,

It still doesn't seem to work. I completely deleted my service and re-added the service from scratch. When I closed AI, and opened it up again, the same "weird symbols" that I get shows up.

This time AI didn't crash though, but I'm not sure what I should do now?
kkim

Should I use a pre 6.7.0 version of AI to resolve this?

If so, how do I download a version BEFORE 6.7.0 as I don't have any old copies around?

Thanks...
Cosmin

Hi,
It still doesn't seem to work. I completely deleted my service and re-added the service from scratch.
I'm not sure why the problem persists. You can also try re-adding the file used by the service (before creating the service). If this doesn't solve the problem please send us the AIP file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it.
Should I use a pre 6.7.0 version of AI to resolve this?
Most likely the behavior would be the same. The project would need to be saved using multiple versions in order to bring it to the 6.7.1 format.
how do I download a version BEFORE 6.7.0 as I don't have any old copies around?
You can download an older version supported by your maintenance plan by using your license key on our customer information page.

Regards,
Cosmin
kkim

Ok, I will try completely removing the service AND file, then add the file back, and then add the service back.

If the issue still doesn't get resolved, I will send you the AIP file....

Thanks!
kkim

Hi Cosmin,

I am having too many issues with the latest version of AI. I have decided to install version 6.0.1

I'm not sure which version it started to break for me, but I will try this version and see how it goes.

Although you did help me fix my issue above, now when I try to uninstall using the uninstall shortcut that has "always" worked.
Now that broke. When I uninstall, it removes only my executable file, but it still runs in task manager!!!

When I attempt to install a new copy on another machine, it only installs my executable and not the other files...

My question to you is, by using an older copy, does that mean you won't be able to help me if I run into any issues?

I'm not sure what to do as I was VERY comfortable with your older versions of AI, and I only updated because of the simple fact
that there were new versions, but I never really needed any of the new features...

Should I use the old version of AI or should I use the latest version and have you try to help me figure out what's going on?

I'm on a hard deadline to have a new version of our product by this Friday....
Cosmin

Hi,
When I uninstall, it removes only my executable file, but it still runs in task manager!!!
Please note that the uninstall process does not automatically close the application. However, you could try using a detect or stop process custom action to detect or stop the running process.
When I attempt to install a new copy on another machine, it only installs my executable and not the other files...
I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIP with the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please attach a verbose log of the install process with the problem.
My question to you is, by using an older copy, does that mean you won't be able to help me if I run into any issues?
No, a valid maintenance plan gives you access to support no matter what version you use.
Should I use the old version of AI or should I use the latest version and have you try to help me figure out what's going on?
The problems you presented seem to be caused by the project configuration, not by the Advanced Installer version. Therefore, I think we can fix the package with the 6.8 version.

Regards,
Cosmin
kkim

Please note that the uninstall process does not automatically close the application. However, you could try using a detect or stop process custom action to detect or stop the running process.
Our exectuble file runs as a service. In previous versions of AI, it has ALWAYS stopped the service before uninstallation.
Something happened with this version where it just doesn't do it anymore...

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIP with the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please attach a verbose log of the install process with the problem.
I have sent you an email with my AIP file.

No, a valid maintenance plan gives you access to support no matter what version you use.
Great! this is good to know as I had no issues with previous versions. If we find that 6.8 is too difficult for me to use or find the issue,
I can just go back to the older version and hope it will function like it used to.....
The problems you presented seem to be caused by the project configuration, not by the Advanced Installer version. Therefore, I think we can fix the package with the 6.8 version.
[/quote]

Let's try to fix it with 6.8, but if it becomes too difficult, I will just use 6.0.1 that I re-downloaded.

Thanks for your help!
Cosmin

Hi,

I noticed in the project you provided that the service control operation in the "Services" page uses only the "Delete" option. Since the "Stop" option is not used, the service will still run after the uninstall. Please try enabling the "Stop" option and let me know if the problem persists.

Regarding the files which are not installed, I noticed that the "winhttp.dll" component in the "Organization" page uses the condition:

Code: Select all

VersionNT = 500
This will make Windows Installer install the component only on Windows 2000:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/user-g ... stall.html

Regards,
Cosmin
kkim

Ok, we are getting somewhere I think...

I re-installed my product with "stop service" checked off when uninstalling.

But when I install my product I am only getting ONE file upon installation. And that is my executable.

I am not getting my setup.ini file, winhttp.dll file and "uninstall" shortcut installed...

I don't understand because under "Application Folder" they are listed? I never had to do anything special before
to get them installed?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure why the files are not installed. Can you please send us a verbose log of the install process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem?

Regards,
Cosmin
kkim

cosmin wrote:Hi,

I'm not sure why the files are not installed. Can you please send us a verbose log of the install process to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate the problem?

Regards,
Cosmin

Hey Cosmin,

I reinstalled AI 6.1 and guess what! Everything worked just fine! I'm sure there's a huge leap between 6.1 and 6.8, I'm not sure what has changed though.

Do you still want me to do this for you incase this is a bug you can fix for 6.9? I need to MAKE SURE though that everything is working perfectly in 6.1...so far it seems like it is....I will know in a few hours after some thorough testing...

But just for FYI, I used 6.1 and I made a new version of my product with it, just as I did with AI 6.8.

In AI 6.8 things broke as we know, but with 6.1, it seems to be working as I thought it should be...

What do you think we should do? Should I just not bother with 6.8?

I am more than happy using 6.1 for the forsee-able future...
Cosmin

Hi,

If the package works with the 6.1 version then perhaps it is better to stick with it. However, we would appreciate if you can provide the installation log. Perhaps there is a problem in Advanced Installer which should be fixed.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”