Navigator

The InstallUISequence is not called inside the WSUS

Hi,

When an MSI is published by the WSUS (and a Custom Action is defined in InstallUISequence -> Begin node) it seems that this CustomAction isn't evaluated.
The WSUS installs this MSI in the background without any user interaction - I think this is the reason for that.
(This Custom Action is a VB-script which defines a property, which is used in InstallExecuteSequence -> InstallInitialize and in Organization where a conditional install level is defined.)

Is there any other place instead of the InstallUISequence which is always evaluated in the appropriate moment so that the property value is correct at the places of usage?
Cosmin

Re: The InstallUISequence is not called inside the WSUS

Hi,

Since the package is installed silently, "InstallUISequence" will not be executed (there is no UI used). Therefore, the custom action should be scheduled under "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Begin".

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Navigator

Hi,
Thank you for your answer!

I'd tried it in "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Begin" (before I wrote into the forum), but it doesn't work.
In that case nothing happened, it seems the AI ignores my "'Conditional install level" in "Organization".

So the original problem was: We have to install a DLL dependent on the MS-Office version which is part of the install-set. I've written a VB script and set Session.Property("OFFICEVERSION") = InstalledOfficeVersion in it. This VB script is called from "InstallUISequence" -> "Begin" originally. This property is used in "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "InstallInitialize" and in "Organization" inside "Conditional install level".
The original problem is that when the MSI runs with UI, everything is OK, but when it runs without UI (runs by WSUS), the result is the "else case": the DLL for Office2000 gets installed everywhere.

If I dragged it into "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Begin", no DLL gets installed...

Best regards,
Joco
Cosmin

Hi Joco,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIP (project) file you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”