john.paterson

Running prerequisite installs in chained packages.

The documentation says that prerequisites can be installed for chained packages, unless I have misread, but I cannot see how to do it. The chained package can only be an MSI, but the bootstrapper EXE is required for the prerequisite installs to run. Can anyone clear this up. Specifically, what I am trying to do is to install SQL Server 2008 Express as a prerequisite ONLY if a certain feature is chosen to be installed. I have a master installer and two other packages, one of which has SQL Server as a prerequisite. If my one feature is not selected, I don't want the target computer to have SQL Server on it.
Cosmin

Re: Running prerequisite installs in chained packages.

Hi,

Please note that prerequisites can be configured only for the main package (the one which contains the chained packages). Unfortunately Advanced Installer does not support prerequisites for a chained package.
what I am trying to do is to install SQL Server 2008 Express as a prerequisite ONLY if a certain feature is chosen to be installed.
I'm afraid that this is not supported by Advanced Installer. The prerequisites are evaluated before the installation starts, so they cannot be influenced by a feature inside the package. Please note that there is a similar thread which may help you:
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=8498

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”