danc81

Mixed install working on 32-bit but not 64-bit

I'm working on a mixed install for 32/64 bit and the 32-bit works just fine but I have problems installing on 64-bit. There are only 3 files which differ between the two but I get all the way to the end of the install and it rolls back and says that the installation ended prematurely.

I have output a log file and see this in the log:
Property(S): ProductToBeRegistered = 1
Action ended 11:43:30: ExecuteAction. Return value 3.
Action 11:43:30: FatalError.
Action start 11:43:30: FatalError.
DEBUG: Error 2826: Control BottomLine on dialog FatalError extends beyond the boundaries of the dialog to the right by 3 pixels
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2826. The arguments are: FatalError, BottomLine, to the right
Action 11:43:30: FatalError. Dialog created
Action ended 11:43:30: FatalError. Return value 2.
Action ended 11:43:30: INSTALL. Return value 3.
Not too sure if that is relevant but being a FatalError I assume that's what's causing our problem. Any ideas what this means or how to fix it?

Thanks
Cosmin

Re: Mixed install working on 32-bit but not 64-bit

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the AIP file and the complete verbose log to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?
Not too sure if that is relevant but being a FatalError I assume that's what's causing our problem.
Please note that the "FatalError" action is triggered by the actual error which occurs during the install process. This action is only a result, it is not the cause of the error.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
danc81

Hi,

I have tracked the problem down to an "attached action", this is a custom function called from a 32-bit DLL, am I correct in thinking that regardless of the platform the installer runs as a 32-bit process and my DLL should be a 32-bit DLL?

Thanks.
Cosmin

Hi,

Windows Installer detects the type of the DLL (32-bit/64-bit) and automatically uses a correct process (32-bit or 64-bit). Therefore, a 32-bit DLL in a 64-bit installer will automatically use a 32-bit process.

Regards,
Cosmin
danc81

Ok, thanks.

My DLL is not being during the 64-bit installation. I have added a messagebox in the function which appears in the 32-bit installation but does not appear in the 64-bit installation. I have even compiled my DLL as 64-bit and added it as a custom action specifying VersionNT64 and it still does not get called.
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure why the custom action fails. Can you please send us the AIP with the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? Also, please attach a verbose log of the install.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”