MithatErsoy

Creating MSI package for Thunderbird

I found out that the repackager doesn't completely capture Thunderbird installation. It is fine with capturing files and registry entries.
But, there are two things it misses out:

1. Registering Thunderbird as email client. When you go to Internet Options ->Program Tab. -> Email and Thunderbird is not listed
as a valid email client

2. Registering Thunderbird MAPI library as COM+ application. When it comes to interact with other applications , ie: sending emails
from Microsoft word should launch Compose window from Thunderbird ( of course , if Thunderbird is configured as default email application)

I gave up using Repackager as the MSI generated by Advanced installer was causing me problems afterwards.

Could you please clarify whether there is another one to create MSI file for Thunderbird, which does address the above issues too?
Cosmin

Re: Creating MSI package for Thunderbird

Hi,

Please note that the import features in Advanced Installer (the Repackager, the Import MSI feature etc.) are intended to be used to get a starting point for your installation package, not to completely reproduce other installation packages.

The Repackager tool captures only the effects of the installation (the changes made on the system). If the original installation package executes custom code (programs, scripts etc.) then only the effect will be captured (registry entries, files and folders etc.).

Also, after repackaging an installation some adjustments may be necessary in order to obtain a working installation package (the elements you mentioned for example). I'm not sure if there is a tools which can capture the logic of another installation package.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”