gates79

Newbie need help with the Prof. version

Hello,

I have a client/server installation with the server side being a service. I need to,

- install the service
- provide start stop icons in start menu group
- run the client msi from inside the server msi after unextraction during installation
- register a activeX dll

Could you please shed some light on these before we go on and make the purchase?

Best Regards,

Gorkem Ates
Cosmin

Re: Newbie need help with the Prof. version

Hi,
install the service
In order to install the service you can use the Services page. Please note that the User Guide contains a service tutorial which may help you.
provide start stop icons in start menu group
Unfortunately this is not supported directly by Advanced Installer. However, you can try creating external shortcuts to sc.exe which use custom command lines to start or stop the service.
run the client msi from inside the server msi after unextraction during installation
I'm afraid that Windows Installer cannot run two installations at the same time. Therefore, you can try one of these approaches:
1) Add the client MSI as a prerequisite to the server MSI.
2) Use a chained installation to install both packages
3) Use a "Launch file or open URL" custom action to launch the client MSI after the installation of the server MSI. The custom action should be scheduled under "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "InstallFinalize" with the Asynchronous execution, do not wait for return option set. Also, the client MSI should be available when this custom action runs (it must be present in the specified path).
register a activeX dll
For this you can try using the auto register option in the Properties tab of the "Edit File" dialog (double-click the file in the "Files and Folders" page to show the dialog).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”