mjewbank

Configuring SQL Express 2005 after install?

I'm trying to figure out how to do a couple of things with Advanced Installer, and I've not been able to sort out how to make it happen from the tutorials and help file.

Is there a way I can configure MS SQL Express 2005 after it has been installed? In my installer, I'd like to enable Named Pipes and TCP/IP, define an Alias, and then restart services. I've got the services portion working, but I'm not sure how to manage the other portion.
Cosmin

Re: Configuring SQL Express 2005 after install?

Hi,
Is there a way I can configure MS SQL Express 2005 after it has been installed? In my installer, I'd like to enable Named Pipes and TCP/IP, define an Alias,
Unfortunately this is not supported by Windows Installer or by Advanced Installer. However, most likely these settings use custom registry entries. If you can find out what entries to create, you can use the Registry page in Advanced Installer.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
mjewbank

Well, that's unpleasant.
TomCurry

It's possible to do what you want with PowerShell, and though it comes with SQL server 2008 it does support 2005. You'd need to create some custom actions but it's quite possible to control SQL protocols in an automated fashion. I looked into doing this but scrapped it and went with shared memory which is enabled by default.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/dd206997.aspx

If powershell supports executing a script instead of interactive then you could probably get away with a batch file or simple script custom action instead of a .net assembly or similar.

Good luck!

Return to “Common Problems”