Nico-D

[patch] - Impossible to add target MSI

Hello,

I am experiencing a strange error while creating a simple test patch.

I followed the tutorial, did not change the product code, use the same name for both msi, and only removed one file from the new one.

When adding the target, I have an error popup message : "This installation package could not be opened. Verify that the package exists and that you can access it, or contact the application vendor to verify that this is a valid Windows Installer package".

I am admin on the computer, and I can access and execute both files. It must be something evident that I do not see, could you help me resolving this issue please?
Best regards,
-- Nicolas D.
Cosmin

Re: [patch] - Impossible to add target MSI

Hi Nicolas,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Please try this:
- delete the cache used by the target package project
- rebuild the target package
- delete the images and cache folders of the patch project
- try adding the target package again

If the problem persists, please try creating another patch project in a different location.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Nico-D

Hi Cosmin,

I did not succeed in building the patch project, as it leads to an error reported on this post: http://www.advancedinstaller.com/forums ... f=2&t=8112

Code: Select all

Running MSI patch compatibility tests... done.
Creating PCP database... error.
Exception - Reason: Error calling Msi API: 1627 Method: MsiViewExecute Table: TargetImages. Extended Error: 
1: 2210 2: C:\...\patchwork-p1.0.0-1.0.1.pcp 3: 1 .
Actually, as I have other MSI products on my computer, I tried to import a MySQL MSI package as a New Upgraded and it dies with the same error (see my first post). I don't understand, because I remember it was very easy to make a patch with AI!

I really built a simple package from scratch, because it was not working with a big professional package...

I'm investigating and take you informed.
Regards,
-- Nicolas D.
Nico-D

For now, I had only tried to create patch and package on the same partition. Moving (Ctrl X / Ctrl V) all the files to another part of the partition (fixed disk) is leading to the same errors. Nevertheless, it is not a real physical copy, only a FAT addressing change.

Then I tried to move all the file on another fixed disk of the same computer, and there it worked ! Moving back to the first partition is not relevant, as sometimes the copy back leads to a working patch, another errors, OR the same error.

Thus, your suggestion was the good one: move your files, but being sure you are operating a physical copy of all the files, not a address change in the File Allocation Table.

Do you have an idea of what is occurring (I'm stressing about my disk sanity)? How did you feel moving the files could be the solution?

Many thanks,
-- Nicolas D.
Cosmin

Hi Nicolas,

The error on the other thread was encountered because the package was in use when the build process started. Also, the error in your post suggests that there is something wrong with the target package. Perhaps there is some data corruption on the machine you are using. You can try this:
- go to the Temp folder under your profile directory and see if the folder "~pcw_tmp.tmp" exists; if it's there, delete it
- delete the images and cache folder used by the patch
- reboot your machine to make sure that the MSI packages are not used by any process

After these steps the patch should be built correctly. If it's not, perhaps there is a problem with the machine.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Nico-D

Hi Cosmin,

I discovered that the directory created in the Temp directory of my profile by AI is quite important: if I remove it, I have many trouble with my patch AIP file. Even if it is in a temp folder, it is a bad idea to remove it completely...

Anyway, no "~pcw_tmp.tmp". The system will go under maintenance tonight, I hope I'll have a solution tomorrow. I'll take you informed.

Regards,
-- Nicolas D.
Nico-D

Hello Cosmin,

Here is the solution of the problem: there was a problem of rights at the root of the directory I was using. Our sysadmin added SYSTEM with all privileges recursively to this directory and it works fine.

Hope this would help someone else, now...

Regards,
-- Nicolas D.

Return to “Common Problems”