treiberg

Installing to directory based on reg entry

Sat Mar 14, 2009 2:51 pm

I am having problems doing something fairly simple...any help is appreciated. I want to read a registry entry to get the path to install some files to. I have tried doing various things to get this to work with not much luck. Can anyone provide a straightforward way to accomplish this?

Cosmin

Re: Installing to directory based on reg entry

Mon Mar 16, 2009 10:49 am

Hi,

In order to read a path from the registry you can try using a search. The name of the search is actually an installer property which can be used to set the installation folder. For example, if your files are in "Application Folder" from the "Files and Folders" page, you can create a Property set with Formatted custom action under "InstallUISequence" -> "AppSearch". This custom action can set the APPDIR property to the property of the search.

To run the custom action only if a path is found in the registry, you can condition it with the property of the search (it shouldn't be empty). Also, while the SHIFT key is pressed you can drag the custom action over "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "AppSearch". This way it will run even if the installation doesn't use an UI.

Please note that the User Guide contains the Install files in a custom folder how-to which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”