pandresp

EXECUTE EXE IN MSI

I don't write english very well english, I am from uruguay.

I want that a MSI execute a setup.exe (this setup install prerequisites, must install first). I have a setup.exe already created. The idea is that setup download from a URL the archives.

I add in custom actions in Install, that execute a file installed with the product (setup.exe) but this it is executed in the finally.
I want that the setup.exe execute first!!, is possible??

My idea is Deploying a Msi through GPO, it is why I need that the MSI execute the setup and install the prerequisites.

Thanks!
Cosmin

Re: EXECUTE EXE IN MSI

Hi,

You can try moving the custom action which launches "setup.exe" under the "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "Begin" standard action in the Custom Actions page. You can show the "Begin" standard action by using the "Show Standard Action" toolbar button or context menu. Please note that a custom action scheduled in "InstallExecuteSequence" cannot launch other MSI packages.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
pandresp

ok.. I have two problems:

1) how I can do that the setup.exe not execute the MSI??

2) When I add custom action in Beggin --> New Attached Custom Action, \\server\folder\setup.exe
then when execute the msi, it show the following message of error "this package of installation cannot open. it verifies that the package exists...." ?????

thanks for your answer!!
Cosmin

Hi,
1) how I can do that the setup.exe not execute the MSI??
I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Does your EXE need to launch other MSI packages?
When I add custom action in Beggin --> New Attached Custom Action, \\server\folder\setup.exe
then when execute the msi, it show the following message of error "this package of installation cannot open. it verifies that the package exists...." ?????
Can you please give me more details about this? When do you receive this error? Do you receive it right after you launch the MSI or during the install process?

Regards,
Cosmin
pandresp

""I'm not sure I understand what you mean. Does your EXE need to launch other MSI packages?""

When I create the setup.exe since Advanced Installer, this create two files setup.exe and setup.msi, when I execute the setup.exe (with the prerequisities) once finished it execute el setup.msi, this is true?

Then when I add custom action (otherMsi.msi) in Beggin --> New Attached Custom Action, \\server\folder\setup.exe
then when execute the otherMsi.msi, it show the following message of error "this package of installation cannot open. it verifies that the package exists...." ?????
this message I receive it right after you launch the MSI
Cosmin

Hi,
When I create the setup.exe since Advanced Installer, this create two files setup.exe and setup.msi, when I execute the setup.exe (with the prerequisities) once finished it execute el setup.msi, this is true?
Yes, in this case the installation package uses an EXE bootstrapper.
Then when I add custom action (otherMsi.msi) in Beggin --> New Attached Custom Action, \\server\folder\setup.exe
then when execute the otherMsi.msi, it show the following message of error "this package of installation cannot open. it verifies that the package exists...." ?????
this message I receive it right after you launch the MSI
Please note that you cannot add other MSI packages as custom actions under "InstallExecuteSequence". If you want to install other packages with your installer, you can add them as prerequisites. Please note that the User Guide contains a prerequisite tutorial which may help you.

Regards,
Cosmin
pandresp

The problem is that I want deploy my otherMsi.msi throught Group Policy. Also want install prerequesities in all the pc throught Group Policy. Then I have a setup.exe and setup.msi. How by Group policy can't call a exe, then for install the prerequisities I call my setup.exe since otherMsi.msi throught Custom Action.

there is some other form to do this??

thanks!!
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that a package which has prerequisites cannot be deployed through GPO. A solution would be to deploy the packages one after another or to somehow include the functionalities of all packages into a single MSI.

Regards,
Cosmin
pandresp

"the functionalities of all packages into a single MSI."

ok. I try to do this with the utility "Chained Packages" but the problem is that all pc must have intalled "Window Installer 4.5" and the only one form to install this is with a setup.exe and can't use the setup.exe through GPO, there is another form to do this??

thanks
Cosmin

Hi,

Although it is not recommended, you can try this approach:
- the main MSI can install the other packages on the target machine
- under "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "InstallFinalize" you can use a custom action which launches a BAT file
- the BAT can launch the installation packages installed by the main MSI
- the custom action should use the "Asynchronous execution, do not wait for return" option in the "Custom Action Properties" page

After the main MSI is finished, the BAT file should launch each installer one after another. Please note that these installers should also run silent.

Regards,
Cosmin
pandresp

ok. thank you very much by everything!

Return to “Common Problems”