stretchedout2

Data Sources not supported in multiple builds?

Sun Mar 29, 2009 1:51 am

I've got a project that has two builds in it – one for 32-bit and the other for 64-bit. I'm finding that my data sources are only being built for the first target (32-bit).

P.S. - This also seems to be true for the "Limit to basic user interface" property on the Installation Parameters pane.

stretchedout2

Re: Data Sources not supported in multiple builds?

Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:31 am

Correction! The Data Source IS being installed, I (the administrator) am not able to see it in the Data Sources application! Very strange indeed!

As for the "Limit to basic user interface", I'm assuming I'm supposed to use the combobox in the toolbar (was not looking there).

Cosmin

Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:08 am

Hi,

Please note that the "Limit to basic user interface (simple progress and error handling)" option is set per-build. In the "Install Parameters" page you can change the current build by using the "Build" combo on the toolbar.

A datasource is installed for the current user or for the entire system, based on the installation type of the package (per-user or per-machine). Please check both user and system datasources on the target machine.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

stretchedout2

Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:01 pm

I did find out why the data source wasn't appearing. On 64-Bit windows, there is apparently TWO ODBC Datasource control panels. On my system, the one that is in \Windows\System32 is the version that runs by default, but there is also a version in \Windows\SysWOW64 and THATS where I found my datasources. Very, very strange. I'm guessing that the data sources were installed as 64-bit datasources, and as far as I can tell, they work just fine with my 32-bit app, the user just needs to dig to get to them.

Greg

Cosmin

Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:07 am

Hi Greg,

For 64-bit packages the data sources are installed as 64-bit. This is the normal behavior. If you want to always install them as 32-bit you can use a 32-bit package.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

stretchedout2

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:25 pm

We are still having trouble with this issue in that If I use a 32-Bit package and get a 32-Bit ODBC Datasource on a 64-Bit system, I cannot use the TestSqlConnection action to detect it with a connection string like this:

Data Source=DataSourceName;User ID=sa;Password=password

I'm getting an error that says that the datasource does not exist, but it DOES appear in the 32-Bit ODBC control panel.

stretchedout2

[Solved] Re: Data Sources not supported in multiple builds?

Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:35 pm

Found the problem... The ODBC String was incorrect. I had pulled it from ConnectionStrings.com, but the correct string was:

DSN=DataSourceName;uid=sa;pwd=sapwd

Thanks for your help!

Return to “Common Problems”