macster

Custom Dialog Box / Checkboxes / Downloading from a URL

Hi All,

Thanks for your time. I need to ask for an existing tutorial and/or instructions on how to integrate the customer dialog box I created with the Installation process of my installation package. I will explain below...

a) I have a Custom Dialog Box with Checkboxes. These checkboxes each represent something that needs to be downloaded from an URL during the installation process and the files added to the Application Path.
b) I cannot include these files inside the installer as they are a little too big and I do not wish to include them, so i want the user to have the option of downloading them during setup.

Any links / advice would be greatly appreciated.

TY. Mick.
Cosmin

Re: Custom Dialog Box / Checkboxes / Downloading from a URL

Hi Mick,

Unfortunately this is not supported directly by Windows Installer or by Advanced Installer. However, you can try this approach:
- organize the optional files into features in the Organization page
- in the "Dialogs" page add the "SetupTypeDlg" dialog
- in the "Media" tab of the "Media" page use the "One CAB archive per-feature" option
- in the "Bootstrapper" tab enable the "Create EXE setup file" option
- select the "Retrieve from online location" and "Include install files in EXE" options
- build the project (you should obtain an EXE, the MSI and a CAB for each feature in the "Organization" page)
- place the MSI and CAB files on your server and distribute the EXE to your clients

When the installation runs, the user will be able to select which features are installed through "SetupTypeDlg". During install only the CAB files which correspond to the selected features will be downloaded and installed.

Another approach would be to use custom actions to download the files into the installation folder. These custom actions can be launched by DoAction published control events on a custom dialog.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”