jasonbullard

Update.exe Error

All,

Maybe someone can point me in the right direction here. I have my AI configured to run updates using the update.exe and have also integrated it into my application. I have made sure that the /checknow argument is in the Process.Start and all my links and everything within the AI project are correct. Unfortunately, I keep getting a "The system cannot find the specified path" error and not really sure where to go from here.

There are no updates available for this software but I want to check to make sure everything works. So far I just keep getting that same error no matter what I try.

Thanks,
Jason
cyb

Re: Update.exe Error

Hi Jason,

Can you please send us your AIP to support at advancedinstaller dot com so that we can look for the problem.

Best regards,
cyb
Cosmin Budrica
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
jasonbullard

Thanks for the support but I got it figured out. The default download path that AI puts in is the AppData/Roaming folder which is created but for some reason once the application is installed it cannot find the location. I created my own folder within my application folder and changed the download path to that and it worked just fine.

On another note, I like the update feature but think that it is really unsecure. Maybe there might be a way to pass command parameters (i.e. download URL, download location, etc) so a user can't go in and change those values. Just a thought.

Jason
Cosmin

Hi Jason,

I'm not sure why the default path showed this behavior, but I'm glad the problem is solved. Regarding the updater INI, I added on our TODO list an improvement which will allow you to included it in the Updater. This way the user cannot modify it. The improvement will be included in a future version of Advanced Installer. Thank you for your suggestion.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”