Asya

register assembly and add it to GAC

Hi,
It is the first time I use advanced installer,

I create setup project using Advance installer trial version, I want to add an assemply to global assembly cached, but still be installed on the application directory. And then register that assembly.
In my development environment I do the following

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\Bin\gacutil" /if mydll.dll
"C:\WINDOWS\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v2.0.50727\regasm" mydll.dll

In mydll.dll I add installer class and override Install, uninstall and OnCommitted methods.
This assembly accesses other assembly which I add it to global assembly cache
I try to add custom action (Add predefined custom action - .Net Installer class custom action)
But when I build the project and run it I get error indicating that the dll not found, and that’s right because it is installed on the CAG.
And if I remove it from GAC it gives me error that can’t load one of it dependents.

My question how I can register assembly and add it to GAC

Thanks
Asya
Cosmin

Re: register assembly and add it to GAC

Hi Asya,

Unfortunately the same assembly cannot be installed in both the GAC and a private location. However, you can try using two copies of the assemblies:
- one in a random folder which will be installed in the GAC (the folder is not important because it will not contain the assembly after install)
- the other in the installation folder of the assembly configured for a private location (this can be used by the custom action)

You can configure the assembly through the Assemblies page.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”