dms

.net framework and C++

Hi

I've just realised that one of the component parts of my app is going to require the c++ runtime. I already know that I require the .net framework 3.5 and have made provisions to include that as a prerequisite. Will that install the c++ runtime as well (I can't seem to find a definitive answer to that)?

If yes great if not then I'll need to install the c++ runtime to sp1 lelel. Will just the sp1 redistributable install all or is in cimulative require first 1.0 then sp1?

Lastly, assuming I have to install C== as well as .net framework should the C++ be done before the main .net framework?

Thanks
Dom
Cosmin

Re: .net framework and C++

Hi Dom,
I already know that I require the .net framework 3.5 and have made provisions to include that as a prerequisite. Will that install the c++ runtime as well (I can't seem to find a definitive answer to that)?
No, the .NET Framework installer does not contain the C++ runtime.
Will just the sp1 redistributable install all or is in cimulative require first 1.0 then sp1?
The SP1 redistributable does not contain the original version installed (it contains all the required files).
Lastly, assuming I have to install C== as well as .net framework should the C++ be done before the main .net framework?
The order is not important for these prerequisites because they are not related.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
dms

Cosmin

Thanks for the information.

Dom
dms

Hi sorry to come back to this.

I've just been looking at the command line needed to ensure that these are run silently as well and came across this article. Essentially it seems to suggest that the C++ redistributables are 'double skinned' and need a little more that just /qb.

http://blogs.msdn.com/astebner/archive/ ... kages.aspx

Would you happen to know if this is correct? Ideally I'd like this to run as silently as is humanly possible.

Dom
Cosmin

Hi,

Yes, the command line in the article you mentioned is correct. You can also try using the "/q" parameter for the command line of the prerequisite.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”