alavoler

[Dependence] Exe with Working Dir : DLL dependencies

Hi !

Version: 6.9.1 / Exe + DLL: full .Net

From a dialog box, I need to run my utility (an executable test configuration that receives parameters/arguments) for check dialog input values.

My EXE to need two DLL in dependency (full. Net)

I use the menu in Custom Action "EXE with Working Dir". I select my EXE.
But in execution it says is missing DLL.

How to add DLL to a temporary directory for the implementation of this custom action?

Thank you
Cosmin

Re: [Dependence] Exe with Working Dir : DLL dependencies

Hi,

You can try adding the EXE and the DLL as temporary files in the "Files and Folders" page. After that, you can use an "Exe with working Dir" custom action to run the EXE. If the DLLs are next to the EXE, the custom action should work correctly.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
alavoler

thanks cosmin but:

In fact I am wrong, I use "Launch file or open URL" and not "Exe With working dir.

How do you know since "Launch open file or URL"?

I was not awake this morning, so sorry

Tonight I will try to combine the DLL + my exe with ILMerge utility...
Cosmin

Hi,

A "Launch file or open URL" custom action should also work as long as the EXE knows to search for the DLLs next to it. Please note that in both cases the EXE and its DLLs should be added as temporary files.

Regards,
Cosmin
alavoler

I think it is not possible to use a temporary directory in the case of "Launch file or open URL" in fact the dialog box is a file browser...

In fact at the execution my EXE is already in a temporary directory of the install ... but I do not know where i must add DLLs...
And I must use a command line for send arguments, i need to use "Launch file" for that...
Cosmin

Hi,
I think it is not possible to use a temporary directory in the case of "Launch file or open URL" in fact the dialog box is a file browser...
Please note that the source path should not be modified for a "Launch file or open URL" custom action (it should always be "<AI_CUSTACTS>viewer.exe"). For this custom action you can specify the path of the EXE in the "Command Line" field from the "Custom Action Properties" pane.
In fact at the execution my EXE is already in a temporary directory of the install ... but I do not know where i must add DLLs...
The EXE and the DLLs can be added as temporary files in the "Files and Folders" page by using the "Add Temporary Files" toolbar button or context menu. After that, the EXE can be used in the command line of the custom action (you can use the "Edit..." button).
And I must use a command line for send arguments
Command line parameters can be specified after the EXE in the "Command Line" field. For example, if "MyApp.exe" is added as a temporary file and it uses the "/q" parameter, the command line of the custom action can look like this:

Code: Select all

"[&MyApp.exe]" /q
Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”