harmn1

Error building .EXE installer

I created a package with the Enterprise version of Advanced Installer. It used the .EXE bootstrapper, and worked correctly. Fromn this I needed to create two different install packages. After copying the original .aip file to a new subfolder and modifying it, the build process fails with the following error:

Exception - Reason: Failed to localize [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\iXAM Installer\Trial\setup.exe] from file [C:\Program Files\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 6.9.1\stubs\res\setup-res.dll]. Verify that [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\iXAM Installer\Trial\setup.exe] is not read-only or being used by another process.

During the build process it creates the .msi file in the right folder, but then deletes it again when the error message appears.
I'm running the latest 6.9.1 build in Enterprise mode

Can anyone help to explain this, please? I have included the build log below.

Regards

Nick

--------------------

[ DefaultBuild ]
Building package (en): C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\iXAM Installer\Trial\setup.exe
Preparing files...
File "APPDIR\Trial.dll" computed MD5 hash "22ebd3aa2dc7c79aa4461f0b9497e668"
File "APPDIR\Trial.dll" computed SHA-1 hash "79e82ce481f7dcbda110bbedbee5a204c89fae83"
done.
Creating CAB file(s)... done.
Creating MSI database... done.
Writing Summary Information... done.
error.
Exception - Reason: Failed to localize [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\iXAM Installer\Trial\setup.exe] from file [C:\Program Files\Caphyon\Advanced Installer 6.9.1\stubs\res\setup-res.dll]. Verify that [C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\iXAM Installer\Trial\setup.exe] is not read-only or being used by another process.

Build finished because an error was encountered.
harmn1

Re: Error building .EXE installer

Follow-up to this issue - when I de-select the .exe bootstrapper it builds correctly and produces an .msi file, but without any of the prerequisites.

Building the exact same file from the original folder works fine.

Regards

Nick
Cosmin

Hi Nick,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please try this:
- uncheck the "Create EXE setup file" option in the "Bootstrapper" tab of the "Media" page
- save the project
- check the option and configure the project the way you need
- save the project
- reboot the machine
- build the project

Please note that you can use the "File" -> "Save As Template" menu to create a template project. The template can then be used to create different installers for different projects. Using a copy of a project for another installer may result in conflicts.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
harmn1

Cosmin

Thanks for the reply - my second post on this subject (regarding the prerequisites) was incorrect - my mistake!

I didn't know about the Save as Template option - in future, I'll use that instead.

Excellent product, BTW - I do like that trial/registration feature. One question, though - I notice that during the build it compute MD5 and SHA1 hashes of the trialware DLL. Does that mean that it verifies that the DLL has not been modified before allowing the program to run?

Regards
Cosmin

Hi,
I notice that during the build it compute MD5 and SHA1 hashes of the trialware DLL. Does that mean that it verifies that the DLL has not been modified before allowing the program to run?
This is verified automatically only for Java Products which use the licensing feature. For non-Java applications the MD5 and SHA-1 hashes can be used by the application to verify the integrity of the DLL (this can be done by the developer of the application).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”