rho

Prerequisite install issue

Fri May 15, 2009 2:42 pm

Hi,

I try to install Whale Communications' Client Components v3.7.2 as a prerequisite.
There seems to be a problem with this (pseudo)MSI package. As soon as the package is started by the bootstrapper, it is shown with status failed in the prerequisite list. But that's wrong. The installer has just started and is still running (and does complete successfully)
This has a negative effect for the user: He has to cancel the bootstrapper, restart it, and now it recognizes, that whale client is installed.
Do you have any advice how to work around this? I can send you a showcase if you like.

Cosmin

Re: Prerequisite install issue

Fri May 15, 2009 2:49 pm

Hi,

Usually this happens when the prerequisite installer uses a launcher for its main package. The prerequisite feature can wait only for a single process and if it's the launcher process, the prerequisite detection criteria will be checked after the launcher exits.

A solution is to launch the prerequisite main installer directly.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

rho

Fri May 15, 2009 3:50 pm

Hi,
thanks for your fast reply.
That means, I have to extract the main app from the msi? The strange thing is, it is definitely a MSI-file. I can edit it with orca, a zip tool shows me the tables and the binary files.
Is it safe to extract the included cab-file?

Cosmin

Mon May 18, 2009 9:19 am

Hi,
That means, I have to extract the main app from the msi?
No, the extracted files cannot be installed because the MSI is the actual installer.

Does the prerequisite use only a MSI file or it also uses a setup file (usually "setup.exe")? If it uses a setup file, you should add the MSI as a prerequisite. This should avoid the launcher problem. If you are using the MSI as a prerequisite and the problem persists, can you please send us the .AIP (project) file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin

rho

Mon May 18, 2009 10:39 am

cosmin wrote: If you are using the MSI as a prerequisite and the problem persists, can you please send us the .AIP (project) file to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?
this is what is true for me. I've sent an email.

You will notice, that the bootstrapper shows the red cross right after the prerequisite shows the welcome screen. So no need to install it actually.

Cosmin

Mon May 18, 2009 11:06 am

Hi,

It seems that the prerequisite you are using has a custom install method. Basically, the MSI contains another installation package which is configured and launched through custom actions.

Unfortunately the prerequisite wizard cannot handle this type of installations. A solution would be to launch the prerequisite through a custom action scheduled under "InstallUISequence" or you can use a chained installation.

Regards,
Cosmin

rho

Tue May 19, 2009 8:34 am

thanks for your help.
I've solved this issue like this:
I extracted the msi package, renamed the included cab file which would be called by the msi under normal circumstances, extracted this cab and put all these files in the bootstrapper as prerequisite.
Now I can even run it as silent install by adding -s to the command line. great! :)

Return to “Common Problems”