stevefal

AI 7.0.1 (prerelease) Enhanced UI exits

I have tried the enhanced UI feature of AI 7.0.1 (prerelease) and upon running the installer, it just exits.

I am packaging as an exe and upon running the installer, I get the "Extracting the main application files" progress dialog, and afterwards the installer exits and its process is gone.

My interest in the enhanced UI is for transparent controls and common file open dialog for setting install location.
gigi

Re: AI 7.0.1 (prerelease) Enhanced UI exits

Hi,

In order to investigate the problem please send us the AIP project file (if does not contain any confidential information) or a small test case reproducing the problem to support at advancedinstaller dot com.

Waiting for your response.

Regards,
Gigi
Gheorghe Rada
Advanced Installer Team
http://www.advancedinstaller.com/
stevefal

I'm afraid I haven't been able to get to this. I'm swamped and reverted to 6.9.1.
stevefal

I've investigated this further and determined a breakdown between code-signing and enhanced UI and/or the bootstrapper

- if I remove code-signing using signtool.exe from my failing project, it then succeeds
- if I create a new project using code-signing, it fails. I am not sending a sample because it requires I provide a certificate and password. But here are the steps:

1. new enterprise project in 7.0.1
2. add empty file test.txt to project
3. turn ON Enhanced UI (OK to bootstrapper)
4. turn ON code-signing with signtool.exe
5. save, build (enter cert password), run
6. observe: Error: The archive is corrupted.
7. turn OFF code-signing
8. save, build, run
9. observe: success

Note that I am not getting the error in #6 above when my project fails. Nonetheless turning off code signing allows my project to succeed with enhanced UI.

Alternate:

1. new enterprise project in 7.0.1
2. add empty file test.txt to project
3. turn ON create exe setup file
4. turn ON code-signing with signtool.exe
5. save, build (enter cert password), run
6. observe: Error: The archive is corrupted.
7. turn OFF create exe setup file
8. save, build, run
9. observe: success

Also, there is an issue with the UI dependency between enhanced UI and bootstrapper:

1. turn ON Enhanced UI
2. observe: Information - The enhanced UI functionality requires the 'Create exe setup...
3. select OK
4. turn OFF Create EXE setup file
5. observe: enhanced UI checkbox is still checked - the dependency is not being enforced.

Hope this all makes sense.
Cosmin

Hi,

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce the error on our test machines. Can you please give me more details about the machine you are using to build the project? Also, does this problem occur on multiple machines?
Also, there is an issue with the UI dependency between enhanced UI and bootstrapper:

1. turn ON Enhanced UI
2. observe: Information - The enhanced UI functionality requires the 'Create exe setup...
3. select OK
4. turn OFF Create EXE setup file
5. observe: enhanced UI checkbox is still checked - the dependency is not being enforced.
Please note that the dependency works only one way: the enhanced UI requires an EXE bootstrapper. If the bootstrapper is disabled manually, the external UI will not be used. The same happens for prerequisites and the EXE bootstrapper.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
stevefal

The system I am building on is Windows XP Pro SP3. I have run the package on that system and one other with the same "The archive is corrupted" error.
Last edited by stevefal on Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cosmin

Hi,

Can you please send us the .AIP you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it? If it contains confidential information you can send us a small test case which shows this problem. Also, in your email please provide an URL from where we can download the package with the problem.

Unfortunately we are unable to reproduce this behavior on any of our test machines and no other users reported a similar behavior. So your help would greatly improve or chances of determining the problem.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin

Hi,

After further investigations we found that the digital signature was the problem. Basically, if the certificate has an email specified the bootstrapper is not signed correctly. This seems to be an old bug and it's not related to the external UI. Until now no other user must have used a digital signing certificate with an email to sign the EXE bootstrapper.

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. A bugfix will be included in the next version (it is scheduled for release in a couple of weeks). Until then a workaround is to use a digital signing certificate which doesn't have an email specified.

Regards,
Cosmin
foxwood

Hi Cosmin,

Idly reading this I noticed your comment
Until now no other user must have used a digital signing certificate with an email to sign the EXE bootstrapper.
which seems wrong if I understand your comment correctly.

FYI our signing has always included an email address ...

Right-click our installer exe ( built with any v6.x or 7.0.1 (NOT prerelease version ?) )
Properties
Digital Signatures
Select signer and click Details
Shows Digital Signature Details - the Signer information is filled in correctly with our Name, E-mail and Signing time

Return to “Common Problems”