ramit

Issue in Patch

Hi Cosmin,
I am creating patch project. I am facing some problem.

Please follow the steps to understand my problem.

1) I created one installed with version 1.0.0
2) I install the application.
3) Now I made some modification in Previous Installer and changed the version to 1.0.1.
4) When I moved to another page, it prompts for changing the Product Code. I clicked “No”.
5) Then I created a Patch Project with version 1.0.1 as Upgrade and version 1.0.0 added as Target.
6) I installed the patch it is working fine.
7) Again I made some changes in the latest installer (which is 1.0.1) and changed the version to 1.0.2.

Again I move to the patch project and I removed the old Upgrade and Target, again I added version 1.0.2 as Upgrade and version 1.0.1 added as Target.
(So each time in my patch only one Upgrade and one Target will be present)

Now when I tried to run the patch, it is displaying as exception that please select the correct msi.

I am not getting what is wrong…

Do I need to add multiple Targets or Upgrades?

Please help me.

Thanks
Amit
Cosmin

Re: Issue in Patch

Hi Amit,

A patch can update only the target versions. If you want the 1.0.2 patch to update both 1.0.0 and 1.0.1 version, you need to set both versions as target images. In the patch project you would have:

Code: Select all

Upgraded:
Target:
If the patch has only one target, then only that target can be updated.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
ramit

Thanks, it works

You guys are superb.

Thanks a lot
ramit

All going good, one thing I want to ask

When I install Patch First Time it asks for the Old msi file (It opens one dialog box with Browse button).

Is it possible to avoid this dialog box as I am already specifying the Upgrade and Target path in patch.

Thanks
Amit
Cosmin

Hi Amit,

This usually happens when a patch needs to perform a repair on the original installation (some resources are missing or they have been modified). The solution is to specify the path of the original package when prompted. Unfortunately this is a Windows Installer limitation (the original installation needs to be intact and unmodified when the patch is applied).

If you are using an EXE package with the files inside, you can check the "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" option in the Bootstrapper tab of the "Media" page. This way the MSI is not deleted after it is extracted and the patch will retrieve it automatically.

Regards,
Cosmin
ramit

Hi Cosmin,

Sorry Cosmin, I did not found this option "Do not delete extracted MSI and CAB files" in the Media page, "Bootstrapper" tab.
Please see the attached screen shot and let me know If I am on correct place.

Regatds
Amit
Attachments
MediaBootstrapper.JPG
MediaBootstrapper.JPG (67.73 KiB) Viewed 4989 times
Cosmin

Hi,

Please note that I was referring to the "Media" page of the target MSI project. If the original package doesn't delete its MSI and CAB files, a repair can be handled automatically by a patch.

Regards,
Cosmin
ramit

Hi Cosmin,

I got it however I have some questions.

We know that while creating Patch Project we select old and new msi files.
My question is, if the patch is having both the files, it should maintain both the MSI files inside it and use the same msi files to run the patch, instead of asking again for old msi file.

Is it not possible?

Why I am saying this, because it may possible user delete the MSI and CAB files of original package [he may feel these are temp files]. In that case again it will be a problem.

Is there any other way to solve it?

Please help.

Amit
Cosmin

Hi Amit,
if the patch is having both the files, it should maintain both the MSI files inside it and use the same msi files to run the patch, instead of asking again for old msi file.
Unfortunately this is not supported by Windows Installer patches. Also, this would defeat the purpose of patches: small updates. If the patch would contain both MSI files, it would have a large size. I'm afraid that the original package is required by the patch if the installed resources are modified by the user or if some of them are missing.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”