phainge

Small update patch install

Hi,

I have a problem with the installation of small update patches.

We regularly publish new releases of our application, and we regularly publish patches for those releases. In the past, when we have produced a patch for a particular release, we have integrated that patch into the main application client setup for the release, so that a site upgrading to that release from an earlier one will not have to install the application and then install a separate patch, they just install the main application which already incorporates the patch – we do this to make our site’s lives easier as they complain if they have to run more than one install!

Using Advanced Installer I can produce small update patches which all target the original unpatched release. Unfortunately, since the small update patch can only target the original unpatched release, this means that a site upgrading to a patched release will first have to install the original unpatched release and then install the patch. This is going to upset many of our sites. So my question is, is there any way to incorporate the patch into the release, either by updating the original unpatched release itself or by getting the install for the unpatched release to automatically install the patch as well, so that sites upgrading to a patched release do not have to install the patch separately.

Thanks.

Peter
phainge

Re: Small update patch install

I think I've solved this myself. I had failed to notice that when producing a patch you can target more than one version of the application - I've just tried this and it seems to work.

Peter
Cosmin

Re: Small update patch install

Hi Peter,
is there any way to incorporate the patch into the release, either by updating the original unpatched release itself or by getting the install for the unpatched release to automatically install the patch as well
Unfortunately this is not supported directly by Advanced Installer. However, you can try this approach:
- add the patch in the installation package, so it is copied on the target machine during install
- in the Custom Actions page show the "InstallExecuteSequence" -> "InstallFinalize" standard action
- under it create a new Launch file or open URL custom action
- configure it to launch the patch
- make sure that the "Asynchronous execution, do not wait for return" option is selected in the Custom Action Properties pane

This way the patch will be copied on the target machine and launched at the end of the main install. You can copy it on the desktop to let the user see it or you can use a patch custom action to delete it. This patch custom action should be asynchronous, it shouldn't wait for return and it should wait a couple of seconds before deleting the file.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”