benhinman

Error 2869 on Vista.

Hi,

Vista installation.
.NET custom action (Deferred with no impersonation).

I am receiving the following warning:

"The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869."

This installer works fine on XP.

I was under the distinct impression that this was to do with an elevated permissions issue on Vista and that the solution was simply to select "no impersonation" when configuring the custom action. However, this does not appear to be working for me.

I have also tried some of the post-build build VB scripts found on google (which essentially do the same thing I believe), all with no luck.

Further detail:

Code: Select all

MSI (c) (D0:E4) [09:47:46:081]: Product: MSM -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2869. The arguments are: ErrorDlg, , 

MSI (s) (80!80) [09:47:46:081]: 
DEBUG: Error 2769:  Custom Action Services.LoadBalancerLicencing did not close 1 MSIHANDLEs.
The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2769. The arguments are: Services.LoadBalancerLicencing, 1, 
Action ended 09:47:46: InstallExecute. Return value 3.
The custom action itself performs the following operations:

1) Copies a file from a location on the users hdd to the install folder.
2) Writes to an installed file.
3) Runs database scripts using ado.net.

Please help!

Thanks,
Ben
benhinman

Re: Error 2869 on Vista.

Please ignore this post.

I had a problem in the custom action althought I am unsure why this resulted in such a vague error message.
Cosmin

Re: Error 2869 on Vista.

Hi,

This error may have multiple causes, including an exception in the code of the custom action. For more details please see this FAQ.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”