GSchaller

Vista SP Conditions

I have launch conditions set for a 4 build install (XP x86, XP x64, Vista x86, Vista x64) where I have set conditions for XP SP3 and up for 32 bit and XP SP1 and up for 64 bit. But I also want to force SP2 for Vista when Vista is the OS. There is no provision for this so I presume I have to create an additional install requirement and mark it only for the appropriate Vista build.

What is the best way to go about this please?

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives
Cosmin

Re: Vista SP Conditions

Hi Geoff,

Predefined launch conditions for Vista SP2 will be included in the next release. Until then. you can try using a search. For example, you can retrieve the value of this registry entry:

Code: Select all

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\CurrentBuildNumber
The property of this search can then be used as a custom launch condition (compare it with "6002").

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
GSchaller

Thanks,

But what I was really getting at was that I need to separate Vista from XP the way you separate 32 from 64. In other words I want to specify XP SP3 when it is XP but SP1 when it is Vista. At the moment I have to use XP SP3 which means that Vista users can get away with no SP. I can't then put the additional search in because it then breaks an XP install. The only way out seems to be to build two completely separate installs.

Is that a fair summary?

Geoff
Cosmin

Hi Geoff,

Currently this is not supported by the predefined launch conditions. However, I added this improvement on our TODO list and it will be available in a future version. Until then, a solution is to create custom launch conditions which allow installation only on specific Windows versions.

Regards,
Cosmin
GSchaller

Thank you but I have a related problem - sorry :-)

If I create launch condition for Windows NT 64 bit from Vista 64 SP1, it works on Vista Business 64 PS1 but NOT on Vista Ultimate SP2. Can this be looked at too please?

Thanks,

Geoff Schaller
Software Objectives
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm not sure I understand what settings you are using. Are you using a predefined launch condition or a custom one? If you are using a custom one, can you please give me more details about it?

Regards,
Cosmin
GSchaller

Predefined. Do this:

tick Windows NT 64-bit from: select Windows Vista 64-bit Service Pack1

This install will load just fine into Windows Vista Business SP1 (64 bit)
This install will fail the condition on Windows Vista Ultimate SP2 (64 bit)

I cannot test Vista Ultimate SP1 at the moment because I don't have one - all our PCs are at SP2 already but my virtuals are all built around Vista Business (well you gotta pick one :-) )

Thanks,

Geoff
Cosmin

Hi,

We tested this scenario on multiple Vista 64-bit SP2 machines, but unfortunately we are unable to reproduce the behavior you are encountering. Can you please send us the .AIP you are using to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate it?

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”