Mert

Service execution and naming sql instance

Hi everyone in my current project I need to run some services that has associated dll files but I couldn't find a way to reference them to AI almost all services have more than one dll files but I don't know if AI can find them with just exe file

Another problem I am having is my project installs MS SQL server 2005 Express edition as a prerequisite and I need to give name to the default instance without prompting user for it so is there anyway I can give instance name to SQL server

thanks for your help
Cosmin

Re: Service execution and naming sql instance

Hi,
I need to run some services that has associated dll files but I couldn't find a way to reference them to AI
You can add the service EXE and DLL files in the "Files and Folders" page. After that, you can configure the service through the Services page. Please note that the User Guide contains a service tutorial which may help you.
my project installs MS SQL server 2005 Express edition as a prerequisite and I need to give name to the default instance without prompting user for it
For the SQL Server Express prerequisite you can try specifying the instance name in the "Command Line" field on the Properties tab of the "Edit Prerequisite" dialog. You can see the possible command line parameters here.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Mert

You can add the service EXE and DLL files in the "Files and Folders" page. After that, you can configure the service through the Services page. Please note that the User Guide contains a service tutorial which may help you.
ok but will my .dll files work with the corresponding service because program does not ask me which service uses which .dll files

thanks for your help
Cosmin

Hi,

All Windows services have a "Path to Executable" in their properties dialog. For a service installed by your package, this path will point to the service EXE installed on the target machine. If the DLLs are placed next to the EXE the service should be able to find them, assuming that the EXE knows to find the DLLs next to it.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”