elver

Upgrade issue with multi-languages installer

Hi,

I encounter the following issue with a multi-languages installer allowing side-by-side installation:
1/ I installed the version 1.0.0 of my product
2/ I set the product version to 1.0.1
3/ I launch the installer, select a language other than english and select the same folder than the version 1.0.0
4/ installation succeeds
5/ looking at the windows "add/remove programs" list, I find not only the version 1.0.1 but also the previous version 1.0.0

The same sequence except selecting english language works fine and does not leave the previous version installed.
I reproduce this behaviour with a simple test installer (aip file not attached; all attempts to upload an attachment failed because of "the extension is not allowed"!?!).

Do you have an explaination and/or a workaroud?

Thanks
Cosmin

Re: Upgrade issue with multi-languages installer

Hi,

I'm not sure why you are encountering this behavior. Can you please send us the .AIPs of the two packages to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
Cosmin

Hi,

I checked with our developers and this is the normal behavior.

When using side by side installation, if an older version is detected its path is added automatically in the combo which specifies the installation path of the new version. This way the user can choose the old installation path to remove the existing version.

If the new version uses a different language, the old installation path may contain characters not supported by the code page of that language. In this case the old installation path may not be supported and the old version cannot be upgraded.

In a future version of Advanced Installer we will include an improvement which will analyze the old installation path to see if it's supported by the new version.

Regards,
Cosmin
elver

Hi,

Thanks for the analysis. However, I encountered the problem even when using the same language for both initial installation upgrade, except if this language is english! But if you launch the test100.exe in spanish and then test101.exe in spanish too, the two versions are installed "side by side" but pointing to the same folder.

I have many customers who use spanish or german for their installation (without mixing languages), and they cannot properly upgrade the application nor remove the old version since the installation folder is the same for both versions.

Regards
Cosmin

Hi,

This behavior is caused by a bug in Advanced Installer which is encountered only for multilingual packages. Thank you for bringing this to our attention. A bugfix will be included in the next version which is scheduled for release in a couple of weeks.

Regards,
Cosmin

Return to “Common Problems”