franklopez

how do I use standard msbuild bootstrapper packages?

Is there anyway I can use my existing msbuild bootstrapper package definitions?

There are the packages under

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages
Cosmin

Re: how do I use standard msbuild bootstrapper packages?

Hi,

After the MSI is generated with Advanced Installer you can use it any way you need (including adding a custom bootstrapper to it).

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
franklopez

That misses what I'm trying to do here.

The only reason I would purchase "Advanced Installer" licenses is because I need a polished bootstrapper: the MSI part of the installer I could easily do using WiX.

And so my entire evaluation of "Advanced Installer" is for the bootstrapper features: single self-extracting executable, installing prerequisities either bundled or from a web site, etc.

The standard way to do msbuild bootstrappers is to use the msbuild packages.

And so is there any way to have "Advanced Installer" directly read these same msbuild packages from

C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio 8\SDK\v2.0\BootStrapper\Packages

rather than having to use the limited "Advanced Installer" UI for specifying prerequisities?
Cosmin

Hi,

I'm afraid that Advanced Installer cannot use import the bootstrapper settings from an external source. Also, the bootstrapper functionalities in Advanced Installer can be used only for a MSI created with Advanced Installer (it cannot be used for already built packages).

In your case, the MSI part can be created from scratch or imported and then you can enable and configure the bootstrapper for the installer. Note that the bootstrapper features are integrated into the installer project, it doesn't use a separate project and it's not a standalone tool.

Regards,
Cosmin
Cosmin Pirvu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”