rho

Start exe of a nested install

Hi,

that's the situation:
I've a wrapper MSI that installs a chained package (with WI 4.5). This chained package is the main app provided "as is". The wrapper MSI installs all the additional stuff (prerequisites) needed to run the chained package later on.
Is there a way to start the exe installed by the chained package when the wrapper finishes?
It would be no problem to start a exe contained in the wrapper MSI .... but with the chained package, things are different. I don't know where it has been installed. If I would know the path where the chained package has installed its program, I could trigger it from the wrapper MSI.

So my question is: Can I find the install path of the chained package?

Thanks for your reply.
Bogdan

Re: Start exe of a nested install

Hi,

You can create a registry key during the chained package installation in the Registry page.
In that registry you will keep the install path of the package. After the entire installation completes you can read the path from that registry and launch the EXE file.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube
rho

If i understand it right, the chained package would have to create/fill the registry key. But I have no influence on this package, so I don't think this would work. :|
Bogdan

Hi,

Here is another approach:

-- Open the chained msi using Orca and locate the component associated with the EXE file.
-- Use this function in a custom action to retrieve the path of th exe file by using the component.
Having the path obtained you can set a property with it and use it as you need.

Regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Return to “Common Problems”