Daniel

Re: How to stop the application before the pre requisites ch

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:06 pm

Hello Mohammed,

You may encountering this behavior because you select the "Run Feature from installation Source" installation settings option for your prerequisite feature in "Organization" page. Can you enable the "Install the feature locally" option from "Feature Properties" right pane and tell us if the behavior still persist?

All the best,
Daniel
Daniel Radu - Advanced Installer Team
Follow us: Twitter - Facebook - YouTube

Fazeem.Mohammed

Mon Dec 10, 2012 2:02 am

Is there any solution for this issue?
Or do I have to give more Explanations?

Daniel

Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:48 am

Hello Mohammed,

As I said in my previous post you may encountering this behavior if you are using the "Run Feature from installation Source" installation settings option for your prerequisite feature in "Organization" page. Can you please enable the "Install the feature locally" option from "Feature Properties" right pane and tell us if the behavior still persist?

All the best,
Daniel

Fazeem.Mohammed

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:44 am

Dear Daniel,

The issue is still existing.I already checked the value and it's value "Install the feature locally".
I feel the point of issue might be compressing(Archiving)/extracting of exe file,because during the installation it trying to extract and install the pre- requisite and if the issue was in organization page the same issue should be there when I changed installation type to "Exe SetUp with resource next to it"
Attachments
InstallerIssue.jpg
InstallerIssue.jpg (206.21KiB)Viewed 6726 times

Daniel

Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:15 am

Hello Mohammed,

Can you please send us the .AIP (project file) and a verbose log of the installation to support at advancedinstaller dot com so we can investigate them?
I feel the point of issue might be compressing(Archiving)/extracting of exe file,because during the installation it trying to extract and install the pre- requisite and if the issue was in organization page the same issue should be there when I changed installation type to "Exe SetUp with resource next to it"
Please keep in mind that when the run from source option is enabled then the related feature resources will be searched and used (if they will be found) from the EXE bootstrapper location. So, if you are building an EXE with resources inside, then the related feature resources will not be found in the EXE bootstrapper location.

All the best,
Daniel

Bogdan

Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:20 am

Hi Mohammed,

In the Advanced Installer version that you are using we have included some major changes to the way our setup extracts the sources from it and uses them during install, in order to speed up the installation process.

We have included some fixes for this in our latest version, i.e. 9.8, which you can download from our page. Can you please rebuild the package with this version and see if the problem still appears when the EXE is set to build with files inside?

If the problem is still there please set the property "ExtractFilesFirst" to value "1" in Install Parameters page and rebuild the package. This should make the extraction to use the old support we had, so if there is a bug in the new one your problem should be avoided.

Best regards,
Bogdan
Bogdan Mitrache - Advanced Installer Team

ckovamees

Mon Jan 20, 2014 9:47 pm

Hi,

I'm trying to stop a service that is running as java.exe before running a feature install. Is there a reason for why this doesn't work when using msiexec /passive to install?

I've tried StopServie custom action and Launch EXE with Working Directory to launch net stop <Servicename> without any luck. Running net stop <servicename> on the command line stops the service just nice though ;-(

I'm using AI 10.8...

Thanks,

/Carl

Daniel

Tue Jan 21, 2014 11:05 am

Hello Carl,

This may happen if you are scheduling your stop service custom action only during "Wizard Dialogs Stage". Please keep in mind that when running the installation package in silent mode only "Installation Execution Stage" custom actions are executed. The "Wizard Dialogs Stage" custom actions are skipped. So, can you please try to schedule your stop service custom action after "Install Execution Stage -> Searches" action group and see if the behavior still persist? If so, please give us more details about your scenario.

All the best,
Daniel

ckovamees

Thu Jan 23, 2014 4:46 pm

Thanks - I did schedule it in both stages.

I could get it to work well enough - there were a multitude of issues. Perhaps launching more than one msi at the time, or it was the passive nature. I'm not sure - it was just hard to get it to work satisfactory.

Instead, I ended up using a cmd-script in the pre-installation prerequisites to stop the service, do the install and then start the java based, depended (we don't install it, but it uses java) service again.

Daniel

Fri Jan 24, 2014 10:59 am

You're welcome Carl. I'm glad you got this working.

All the best,
Daniel

Return to “Building Installers”